For those of you who use a optical mouse

• Thread starter peejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the mouse is jumping to different places on the screen and sometimes it will slowly crawl left. It is probably a difficulty in reading the surface.
peejake
hey guys,

For those of you who use optical mouses, have you noticed any kind of weird behaviour like the cursor crawling up the screen diagonally? This happens especially when you don't do anything and just leave the mouse by itself...I was wondering does anyone know why this happens and why??

Cheers

Computer science news on Phys.org
My optical mouse does some weird things. Sometimes it will jump to some part of the screen. Other times it will slowly crawl left without me moving it. It does one of these things usually once a day, not sure why it happens though.

It is probably a difficulty in reading the surface. Try a different surface.

Yes, I've noticed that. I always thought it was the wire was pulling the mouse by infinitesimal displacements when kept in certain positions. :P

I have noticed it, like when Russ mentioned, on surfaces that the mouse has trouble reading. It also happens as part of a really good practical joke. Put a piece of scotch tape over the bottom eye of the mouse. It takes people a long time to figure that one out. See if that replicates your problem.

russ_watters said:
It is probably a difficulty in reading the surface. Try a different surface.

It still happens when i try it with a different surface...maybe i should try and stick some scotch tape on the bottom eye of the mouse like Fred said...

Thanks anyway

I use a Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse and it works perfectly on all surfaces. However, it's NOT good for gaming. It was really expensive when I got it and it wasn't really worth it though it gives me no troubles.

I found that happens sometimes because a hair or some fluff gets lodged in the sensor, i also notice that some optical mice have a power saving method, whereby theyr sensitivity is reduced after a period of idle. So keeping them from kicking into idle mode keeps the sensitivity at maximum and the mouse tracking more accurate ( mostly usefull for games ). This is more a feature with the wireless optical mice i think, because they run on batteries, i preffer the corded mice myself.

Well, there's a few possibilities, one of this is infection
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/support/faq/sa.cfm?q=21&n=36

the other one, i remembered i saw it in one of Microsoft knowledge base before. Try to to mouse property in ur control panel, under pointer options, deselect/select pointer precession control.

Hope it helps :)

1. How does an optical mouse work?

An optical mouse uses a small camera to take thousands of pictures per second of the surface it is on. These images are then analyzed and used to track the movement of the mouse.

2. Do I need a special surface for an optical mouse to work?

No, most optical mice can work on any flat surface, as long as it is not too reflective or transparent.

3. Can an optical mouse work on all types of computers?

Yes, as long as the computer has a USB or PS/2 port, an optical mouse can work on any computer.

4. How accurate is an optical mouse?

An optical mouse is very accurate and can track movements down to the pixel level. However, the accuracy can be affected by the type of surface it is on.

5. How do I clean an optical mouse?

To clean an optical mouse, turn off your computer and unplug the mouse. Then, use a soft cloth dampened with water or rubbing alcohol to gently wipe the bottom of the mouse and the sensor. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials.