How can I determine the canonical transformation for this problem?

In summary, the problem asks to determine the values of the constants \alpha , \beta and \gamma for which the given transformation is canonical. The first part of the problem can be solved using the Poisson bracket condition for canonicity, which requires the Poisson bracket to be unity. After some calculations, this leads to the equation p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ \gamma + \left( \alpha - \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) \right] = 1 , which can be solved for the three constants. The second part of the problem asks to find a generating function for the transformation. This can be done by
Emanuel84
Hi, I tried to solve this problem, but I was unsuccessful :grumpy:

Here is the problem:

Given the transformation:

[itex] \left \{ \begin{array}{l} Q = p^\gamma \cos(\beta q) \\ P = p^\alpha \sin(\beta q) \end{array} \right. [/itex]

a) Determine the values of the constants [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex] \beta [/itex] and [itex] \gamma [/itex] for which this transformation is canonical.

b) In correspondence of these values, find a generating function of the transformation.

How can I solve this problem? Firstly, I used the Poisson bracket condition for canonicity:

[itex] [Q,P]_{q,p} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p}-\frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}\frac{\partial P}{\partial q} [/itex].

Afterwards I supposed:

[itex] pdq-PdQ [/itex]

to be an exact differential.

Still, I didn't manage to find [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex] \beta [/itex] and [itex] \gamma [/itex], as if I missed a condition...

Can you help me, please? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
current conservation. This transformation should leave momentum and energy invariant , which can be found via noethers theorem. You have constants of motion for which the poisson bracket will be zero. Put in these constraints and you should have the required equations.

err...how can I deduce momentum and energy?

I didn't study Noether's theorem yet, so I don't think this problem should use it... :redface:

Remember in order for a transformation to be canonical requires the Poisson bracket to be unity, i.e. [A,B] = 1. Use this to determine the constants, you'll find it is not that bad. For the second part use the definitions of the relationships between canonical variables to determine the generating function.

xman said:
Remember in order for a transformation to be canonical requires the Poisson bracket to be unity, i.e. [A,B] = 1. Use this to determine the constants, you'll find it is not that bad. For the second part use the definitions of the relationships between canonical variables to determine the generating function.

Correction:
{q_k, p_j} = kronecker delta (j, k) = 0 or 1 depending on j, k
[ 0 if j != k, 1 if j = k ]

From Shankar, Chapter 2, page 95

I know that:

[itex] [Q_j, P_k] = \delta_{jk} [/itex]

so, in this case, since [itex] Q = Q_1 [/itex] and [itex] P = P_1 [/itex] , we have:

[itex] [Q_1, P_1] = 1 = [Q, P] [/itex]

These are the calculations I made:

[itex] [Q,P]_{q,p} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p}-\frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}\frac{\partial P}{\partial q} = 1 [/itex][itex] \left \{ \begin{array}{l} Q = p^\gamma \cos(\beta q) \\ P = p^\alpha \sin(\beta q) \end{array} \right. [/itex][itex] \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q} = -\beta p^\gamma \sin(\beta q) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial p} = \alpha p^{\alpha - 1} \sin(\beta q) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p} = \gamma p^{\gamma -1} \cos(\beta q) [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial q} = \beta p^\alpha \cos(\beta q) [/itex]
Rearranging terms, Poisson bracket condition leads to:

[itex] -p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ \alpha \sin^2(\beta q) - \gamma \cos^2(\beta q) \right] = -p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ -\gamma + \left( \alpha + \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) \right] = 1 [/itex]

I don't think this is a sufficient condition in order to determine the constants. :frown:

Last edited:
On the other hand, one can think to use the definition of canonical trasformation:

A time-independent transformation [itex] Q = Q(q,p) [/itex] , and [itex] P = P(q,p) [/itex] is called canonical if and only if there exists a function [itex] F(q,p) [/itex] such that:

[itex] dF(q,p) = p_i dq_i - P_i(q,p) dQ_i(q,p) [/itex]

In other words, since I have only [itex] Q_1 = Q [/itex] and [itex] P_1 = P [/itex] the former condition becomes:

[itex] pdq - PdQ = pdq - P\left( \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}dq + \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}dp \right) = \left(p - P\frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}\right) dq + \left(-P \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}\right) dp = dF [/itex]

Substituting the values of [itex] P [/itex] , [itex] \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p} [/itex]:

[itex] \left[ p + p^{\alpha + \gamma} \beta \sin^2(\beta q) \right] dq + \left[ -\frac{1}{2} p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \gamma \sin(2 \beta q) \right] dp [/itex]

has to be an exact differential.

Remembering that a differential form:

[itex] dF = A(q,p)dq + B(q,p)dp [/itex]

is exact when:

[itex] \frac{\partial A}{\partial p} = \frac{\partial B}{\partial q} [/itex]

I obtain another condition:

[itex] 1 + p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta (\alpha + \gamma) \sin^2(\beta q) = -p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \gamma \cos(2\beta q) = -p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \gamma \left[1 - 2\sin^2(\beta q)\right] [/itex]

After some calculations I have:

[itex] - p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ \gamma + \left( \alpha - \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) \right] = 1 [/itex]

Comparing this equation with the last one of the previous post:

[itex] -p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ -\gamma + \left( \alpha + \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) \right] = - p^{\alpha + \gamma - 1} \beta \left[ \gamma + \left( \alpha - \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) \right] [/itex]

So:

[itex] -\gamma + \left( \alpha + \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) = \gamma + \left( \alpha - \gamma \right) \sin^2(\beta q) [/itex]

Finally:

[itex] \gamma \left[ \sin^2(\beta q) - 1 \right] = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \gamma = 0 [/itex]

Is this correct?

At this point, I simply don't know what to do... :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Emanuel,

Don't give up yet, you've already done the hard part. The easiest way to attack this problem is to impose the condition that [tex] [Q,P]_{PB} = 1 .[/tex] You have already calculated this quantity in post 6, but you have an error in your final equation. It should be a plus, not a minus, in front of the [tex] \gamma \cos^2{\beta q} [/tex] term. The corrected equation is more than enough to determine all three parameters because it must be true for every q and p! In other words, the LHS is a function of q and p, but the RHS is totally independent of q and p, so clearly this is only going to happen if you choose very special values of[tex] \alpha [/tex], [tex] \beta [/tex], and [tex]\gamma [/tex].

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you, I solved the problem...it was a banal error sign, as you said. :tongue:

What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the canonical form of a Hamiltonian system. It is used to transform a set of coordinates and momenta into a new set that describes the same physical system, but with a different viewpoint or perspective.

Why are canonical transformations important in physics?

Canonical transformations are important in physics because they allow us to simplify and solve complex problems by transforming them into a more manageable form. They also help us to identify conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum, which are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems.

What is the difference between a canonical transformation and a coordinate transformation?

A canonical transformation is a special type of coordinate transformation that preserves the Hamiltonian form of a physical system. It also preserves the Poisson brackets between coordinates and momenta, which are crucial for describing the dynamics of a system. In contrast, a general coordinate transformation does not necessarily preserve the Hamiltonian structure.

How do canonical transformations relate to symplectic geometry?

Canonical transformations are closely related to symplectic geometry, which is the mathematical framework used to describe Hamiltonian systems. In symplectic geometry, a canonical transformation is a symplectomorphism, which is a smooth, invertible map that preserves the symplectic structure of a manifold.

What are some examples of canonical transformations?

Some examples of canonical transformations include the transformation from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, the transformation from position and momentum to action-angle variables, and the transformation from the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian formalism. These transformations are commonly used in physics to simplify and solve problems in classical mechanics and other fields.