Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval

In summary, the problem is to solve the equation sqrt(2)cos(2theta) = 1 for the interval 0<theta<2pie, which represents one revolution of the unit circle. The double angle cos2theta is causing difficulty in finding a solution that fits for the theta angle. However, the solution is theta = pi/8 + 2npi, where n is any integer. The hint provided suggests plugging in pi/2 for sqrt(2)cos(2theta) to find the solution. Additionally, the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle after rotating by an angle theta counterclockwise from the positive x-axis is represented by cos(theta).
catenn
Hi, I have a problem that says to solve this equation for the interval 0<theta<2 pie which is one revolution of the unit circle. The equation is:

(square root of 2)(cos 2theta) = 1

The cos2theta is a double angle, but I couldn't find any solutions for theta that would = 1 at the end. The answer has to fit in for the theta angle. Is this possibly no solution? I had originally put pie/4 as an answer but realized I forgot the parenthesis in the calculator and now I need to redo the problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the unit circle in the x-y cartesian plane. If you rotate around the circle by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] counterclockwise wrt the positive x-axis, then [itex]\cos{\theta}[/itex] is the x-coordinate of the resulting point. So what [itex]\theta[/itex] will make [itex]\cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] (HINT: What's [itex]2(1/\sqrt{2})^2[/itex]?)?

Edit: courtrigrad I suggest plugging [itex]\pi / 2[/itex] into [itex]\sqrt{2}\cos{2\theta}[/itex] and seeing what you get :tongue2:

Last edited:
my fault it should have been [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{8} [/tex]. I multiplied instead of divided.

You can give a closed form for [itex]\theta[/itex].

Edit: :smile:

[tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{8} + 2n\pi [/tex]

he said [itex] 0 < \theta < 2\pi[/itex] though (of course, there's still [itex]\theta = \frac{15}{8} \pi[/itex]!) :tongue:

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for the help! I really appreciate it and understand now.

1. What is "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval"?

"Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" is a mathematical concept that involves using trigonometric functions to find the solutions to equations within a specified interval. Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are used to represent the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle.

2. How is "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" different from regular trigonometry?

Regular trigonometry involves finding the values of trigonometric functions for specific angles, while "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" focuses on finding the solutions to equations within a given interval. This allows for a more precise and specific approach to solving trigonometric problems in real-life scenarios.

3. What are the practical applications of "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval"?

The concept of "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" has various practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the height of buildings, the distance between two objects, and the angles of elevation and depression in surveying and construction projects.

4. What are some common strategies for solving "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" problems?

There are several strategies for solving "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" problems, including using trigonometric identities, solving for the unknown variable using algebra, and using a calculator to find the values of trigonometric functions. It is also important to carefully consider the given interval and use the appropriate trigonometric function for the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using "Trig Solve for Solution Within Interval" include using the wrong trigonometric function for the problem, forgetting to consider the given interval, and making calculation errors. It is also important to be familiar with trigonometric identities and know when to apply them to solve the problem more efficiently.