Wavelength of visible light under a oil leak

In summary, a disabled tanker leaking kerosene into the Persian Gulf has created a large slick on the water's surface. When scuba diving directly under the slick, which has a thickness of 460nm, and with the Sun overhead, the strongest transmitted intensity of visible light is at a wavelength of 442nm due to thin-film interference. However, the exact steps in this solution may need further clarification.
jarod
A disabled tanker leaks kerosene (n=1.2) into the Persian Gulf, creating a large slick on the top of water (n=1.3). If you are scuba diving directly under the region of the slick, whose thickness is 460nm, while the Sun is overhead, for which wavelength(s) of visible light is the transmitted intensity strongest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work before we can help with homework questions

This is what i can do:
1) consider this problem as thin-film interference.
2) the strongest intensity occurs at minima dark film in air ( because the observer is diving) ? I cannot explain why!
3) we set up the equation for minima dark film in air: 2L=(m+1/2)\lamda)/1.2
? and put it in the interval from 0.4 to 0.75
4) Solve for lamda.

Any comment?

I got the answer 442nm. But somehow, I'm not sure about my steps in the solution. Anyhelp?

What is the relationship between wavelength and visible light under an oil leak?

The wavelength of visible light under an oil leak is directly related to the color of the light that is being emitted. Different colors have different wavelengths, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest.

Can the wavelength of visible light help locate an oil leak?

Yes, the wavelength of visible light can be used to help locate an oil leak. This is because different substances, including oil, absorb and reflect light at specific wavelengths. By analyzing the light that is reflected or absorbed under an oil leak, scientists can determine the location and extent of the leak.

How does oil affect the wavelength of visible light?

Oil can affect the wavelength of visible light in several ways. When light passes through oil, it can be refracted, which means the light's wavelength is changed. Additionally, oil can absorb some wavelengths of visible light, causing those colors to appear darker or less visible.

Can the wavelength of visible light be used to identify the type of oil in a leak?

Yes, the wavelength of visible light can be used to identify the type of oil in a leak. Different types of oil have unique spectral signatures, which means they absorb and reflect light at different wavelengths. By comparing the spectral signature of the oil under the leak to known signatures, scientists can determine the type of oil present.

How is the wavelength of visible light under an oil leak measured?

The wavelength of visible light under an oil leak can be measured using a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the amount of light that is absorbed or reflected at different wavelengths, allowing scientists to determine the specific wavelengths that are present under the oil leak.