Coupled differential equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution for a system of differential equations with given values for R, L, and C. The attempt at a solution involves using matrices and integrating the second equation to get a second order non-homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. The final step is to solve for Q1 and Q2 using the solutions for the second order equation.
plmokn

Homework Statement

I need to find the general solution for:
[itex]R \frac{dQ_{1}}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}(Q_{1}-Q_{2})=0[/itex]
[itex]R\frac{dQ_{1}}{dt} + L\frac{d^2Q_{2}}{dt^2}}=0[/itex]
For the case [itex]R=1\times 10^3[/itex], [itex]L=4\times 10^{-3}[/itex], [itex]C=1 \times 10^{-9}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

As an attempt I looked for solutions of the form, [itex]Q_{1}=q_{1}e^{at}, Q_{2}=q_{2}e^{at}[/itex] which then in matrix form gives:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix} Ra+\frac{1}{C} & -\frac{1}{C} \\Ra & La^2\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}q_{1}\\q_{2}\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero, leads to a cubic. There is going to be a constant term corrisponding to the solution a=0, and the remaining quadratic gives a repeated root (using the values of L,C,R given): [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2RC}[/itex]. For this value of a we get a solution:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}Q_{1}\\Q_{2}\end{pmatrix}=A \begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix} exp(\frac{-t}{2RC})[/itex]
where A is an arbitary constant.

But now I need to find another solution. I think it'll be of the form [itex](Bt+C)exp(\frac{-t}{2RC})[/itex] where B is related to A but I'm not sure how to go about finding it? Most of the results google gives seem to be for a slightly different style of question where there is only one first order derivative in each equation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
plmokn said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the general solution for:
[itex]R \frac{dQ_{1}}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}(Q_{1}-Q_{2})=0[/itex]
[itex]R\frac{dQ_{1}}{dt} + L\frac{d^2Q_{2}}{dt^2}}=0[/itex]
For the case [itex]R=1\times 10^3[/itex], [itex]L=4\times 10^{-3}[/itex], [itex]C=1 \times 10^{-9}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

As an attempt I looked for solutions of the form, [itex]Q_{1}=q_{1}e^{at}, Q_{2}=q_{2}e^{at}[/itex] which then in matrix form gives:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix} Ra+\frac{1}{C} & -\frac{1}{C} \\Ra & La^2\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}q_{1}\\q_{2}\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero, leads to a cubic. There is going to be a constant term corrisponding to the solution a=0, and the remaining quadratic gives a repeated root (using the values of L,C,R given): [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2RC}[/itex]. For this value of a we get a solution:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}Q_{1}\\Q_{2}\end{pmatrix}=A \begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix} exp(\frac{-t}{2RC})[/itex]
where A is an arbitary constant.

But now I need to find another solution. I think it'll be of the form [itex](Bt+C)exp(\frac{-t}{2RC})[/itex] where B is related to A but I'm not sure how to go about finding it? Most of the results google gives seem to be for a slightly different style of question where there is only one first order derivative in each equation.

Thanks in advance.

I would have done it in a slightly different way- not using matrices. First integrate the second equation to get
[tex]RQ_1+ L\frac{dQ_2}{dt}= C_1[/tex]
so
[tex]Q_1= \frac{C_1}{R}-\frac{L}{R} \frac{Q_2}{dt}[/tex]
Also from the second equation,
[tex]R\frac{dQ_1}{dt}= -L\frac{d^2Q_2}{dt^2}[/tex]
so we can replace both instances of Q1 in the first equation:
[tex]-L\frac{d^2Q_2}{dt^2}+\frac{1}{C}(\frac{C_1}{R}- \frac{L}{R}\frac{dQ_2}{dt}-Q2)= 0[/tex]
or
[tex]-L\frac{d^2Q_2}{dt^2}-\frac{L}{CR}\frac{dQ_2}{dt}- \frac{1}{C}Q_2= -\frac{C_1}{CR}[/itex]
a second order non-homogeneous equation with constant coefficients.
Since that is a second order differential equation, it will have two independent solutions involving two new constants. That's as it should be since you orginally had first and second order equations to solve. After you have solved for Q2(t) you can immediately get Q1 from
[tex]Q_1= \frac{C_1}{R}-\frac{L}{R} \frac{Q_2}{dt}[/tex]

Thank you.

1. What are coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are a set of differential equations that are connected to each other and cannot be solved individually. The solutions of one equation depend on the solutions of the others.

2. What is the importance of studying coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are used to model real-life phenomena such as chemical reactions, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. Studying these equations helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.

3. How are coupled differential equations solved?

There is no general method to solve coupled differential equations. However, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method can be used to approximate solutions. In some cases, analytical solutions can also be obtained using techniques like separation of variables or Laplace transforms.

4. Can coupled differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, coupled differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because these equations are interconnected and the solutions depend on the initial conditions and the parameters of the system. Different combinations of these can lead to different solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model complex systems like climate change, chemical reactions, predator-prey dynamics, and economic growth. They are also used in designing control systems for various mechanical and electrical systems.