Calculating the Force on a Helicopter in Flight

In summary: Just plug in the numbers and solve for T.In summary, A 13000-kg helicopter is lifting a 7100-kg truck with an upward acceleration of 2.1 m/s2. To calculate the force the air exerts on the helicopter blades, the apparent weight equation is not used. Instead, Newton's second law is applied by drawing a force diagram and using the equation \Sigma\vec{F}=ma. The force of the air is the opposite of the force exerted by the helicopter and truck system, which can be found by subtracting the weight of the system from the force needed to achieve the given acceleration. The resulting force is a large number, as expected for such a heavy load. To find the tension
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A 13000- kg helicopter is lifting a 7100- kg truck with an upward acceleration of 2.1 m/s2. Calculate the force the air exerts on the helicopter blades.

Do I use the apparent weight equation for this?

Wapp = m(g + ay)

Physics news on Phys.org
No it's Newton's second law.

Draw the force diagram, you can assume that the truck and helicopter are 1 object with the mass of truck+helicopter, since you don't need to know what force the helicopter exerts on the truck.

[tex]\Sigma\vec{F}=ma[/tex]

you know a, the m, and there is 1 force you know that is acting against the helicopter. and then there's the uknown force that the helicopter+truck exert upward in order to attain the acceleration of 2.1 m/s^2 which exerts some force on the air,
and by Newton's third law exerts some force on the helicopter.

so...
F = (20100kg)(2.1m/s^2)

[tex]\Sigma\vec{F}=20100kg * 2.1 \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]
yes but what's going to be on the left hand side?

the force the air exerts and is there tension force since the plane is carrying the truck by cables?

well yea the force the air exerts but you might want to think of it as the force the helicopter+truck exert upwards against gravity.

and the cables might be necessary if you were determining the force exerted onto the truck by the helicopter.

But there's one force that's pulling the helicopter down. And the force that the helicopter exerts up overcomes this force and gives it an acceleration of 2.1m/s^2

so we have the force of gravity pulling it down...
H - W = 21000 kg x 2.1 m/s^2
H being the force the helicopter+truck exerts?

yes what you want is that H.
but that H is going up, the force the blades exert on the air. You want the force that is opposite of that. Using Newton's 3rd law, the action or reaction of the pair.

bob1182006 said:
yes what you want is that H.
but that H is going up, the force the blades exert on the air. You want the force that is opposite of that. Using Newton's 3rd law, the action or reaction of the pair.

You want the force the air exerts on the helicopter+truck... that's an upwards force. We need the forces on the system. Not the forces by the system.

so it would be - H
21000 kg x 2.1 m/s^2 + W = -H
-21000 kg x - 2.1 m/s^2 - W = H

BuBbLeS01 said:
so it would be - H
21000 kg x 2.1 m/s^2 + W = -H
-21000 kg x - 2.1 m/s^2 - W = H

No. The way you had it the first time was right... H is the upward force the air exerts on the helicopter/truck system.

ok ok I get it now o.o >< forgot how helicopters worked >.>

Yes you had it right just add W to both sides of that equation and you'll get H as a positive #

so if it was by the system it would be - H?
and now I have...
21000 kg x 2.1 m/s^2 + 206010 N = 476721 N
thats big! Is that right or did I miss something?

BuBbLeS01 said:
so if it was by the system it would be - H?
and now I have...
21000 kg x 2.1 m/s^2 + 206010 N = 476721 N
thats big! Is that right or did I miss something?

Well, the answer will be big... but you made a mistake with the mass... it should be 20100 not 21000

hm..it's not 21000kg it's 20100 hehe.

It seems right, it's a huge weight O.O like ~27 tons ~ 54k lb's being lifted up, requires huge force, and to accelerate ...

Okay my mistake...

Now I have to find the tension in the cable holding the truck so would I just do...
-T = m x a + W - H

BuBbLeS01 said:
Now I have to find the tension in the cable holding the truck so would I just do...
-T = m x a + W - H

Which body are you taking a freebody diagram of? Deciding that is always the first step.

the helicopter

BuBbLeS01 said:
the helicopter

Oh... ok, then your equation looks right.

1. What is the force that allows a helicopter to fly?

The force that allows a helicopter to fly is called lift. Lift is created by the interaction between the helicopter's rotor blades and the air. The rotor blades are shaped in such a way that when they spin, they create a difference in air pressure, which generates lift.

2. How does the weight of a helicopter affect its ability to fly?

The weight of a helicopter is an important factor in determining its ability to fly. The heavier the helicopter, the more lift it needs to generate in order to stay in the air. This means that a heavier helicopter will require more powerful engines and larger rotor blades to create enough lift.

3. What role does air density play in the force on a helicopter?

Air density plays a crucial role in the force on a helicopter. As air density decreases, the amount of lift that can be generated by the rotor blades also decreases. This is because the air molecules are more spread out, making it harder for the blades to create a difference in air pressure. This is why helicopters have a harder time flying at higher altitudes where the air is less dense.

4. How does the angle of the rotor blades affect the force on a helicopter?

The angle of the rotor blades, also known as the pitch, plays a significant role in the force on a helicopter. By changing the pitch of the blades, the pilot can control the amount of lift being generated. This is how a helicopter can move up, down, forward, and backward. The angle of the blades is also adjusted to compensate for changes in air density.

5. Can the force on a helicopter be affected by weather conditions?

Yes, weather conditions can have a significant impact on the force on a helicopter. Strong winds, turbulence, and changes in air density can all affect the helicopter's ability to generate lift. This is why pilots must take into account weather conditions before and during a flight to ensure safe and efficient operation of the helicopter.