Calculating Velocity and Acceleration of a Thrown Ball

In summary, the ball has a peak height of 3.2 m, an initial velocity of 6 m/s, and an acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.
map7s

Homework Statement

You toss a ball up in the air with an initial velocity of 6 m/s (immediately after leaving your hand). Use gravity = -9.8 m/s2.

What is its acceleration immediately after releasing the ball?
What is its velocity at its peak height?
What is its acceleration at its peak height?
What is the ball's velocity when it falls past the point at which you released it?

Homework Equations

d=v0t+1/2gt^2
v=v0+at
v^2-v0^2=2gd

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first three answers (-9.8, 0, -9.8, respectively), but I'm confused about the last question. I tried solving for distance of the ball going up to the top and tried to use that...I also tried plugging in the numbers for the equations with v0=0m/s b/c that was the velocity at the top of the arc...I'm not sure if I'm even on the right track at this point...

Physics news on Phys.org
- The first three answers are correct except for missing the units (which is an error that in an exam I'd give you minus points for).
- Do you understand the 3rd equation you stated? I don't, but you can use it to almost directly get the missing answer you are looking for (and get the correct result). If you don't understand the equation yourself, then either try understading it or simply use the first two equations and just try to find as much of the values a,d,v,t for the three relevant points (starting point, maximum height and point of return) - you can ultimately get all of them. This way you also get the answer you are looking for, you just might end up things that were not asked for as intermediate steps which is not really a problem and possibly even a good exercise.

sorry about the units (I didn't have to write them...they were already preprinted)

I'm still kind of confused about solving the problem. I tried breaking it up into portions like you suggested, but the most I figured out was that when the ball makes a complete arc, its velocity, right as it reaches your hand should be equal to the beginning velocity. When they ask for the velocity past that point, I'm getting a little bit confused. How can I solve for that velocity if I don't know the distance from the beginning point to the end point? I know that I can solve for time, but I don't know how long it takes for the ball to go past that point and I can solve for it, but I would need to know the distance of how far the ball went from that horizontal start point. Am I just overthinking this problem? (or am I just completely way off base?)

I'm not a native english speaker but I understand "when it falls past the point at which you released it" as "when it's at the height of the hand again". The velocity is, similarly as you mentioned, the negative of the inital velocity, then (it's fyling in the opposite direction, of course). You could get the velocity for any distance below your hand by determining the time it takes to fall down that distance with eq (1) and then get the velocity at this point with eq (2). Keeping the distance as a variable, you can even get a generic expression v(d). But I from the level that the other questions are, I don't think that's what is asked for - I think the -6 m/s is what is asked for.

oh, okay...that makes a lot of sense...I guess that I was just overthinking the problem...thank you so much for your help!

1. What factors affect the velocity of throwing a ball?

The velocity of throwing a ball can be affected by several factors, including the force applied, the angle of release, the mass and shape of the ball, and air resistance. Additionally, the strength and technique of the thrower can also impact the velocity.

2. How is the velocity of a thrown ball measured?

The velocity of a thrown ball is typically measured using a device called a radar gun. This device uses the Doppler effect to calculate the speed of the ball based on the change in frequency of the radar waves as they bounce off the ball. It can also be calculated using the equation: velocity = distance/time.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and distance when throwing a ball?

The velocity of a thrown ball is directly related to the distance it travels. This means that the greater the velocity, the farther the ball will travel. However, this relationship is not linear and is affected by other factors such as air resistance and the angle of release.

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a thrown ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the velocity of a thrown ball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, slowing it down. The amount of air resistance depends on the speed and shape of the ball, as well as the density of the air.

5. How can the velocity of a thrown ball be increased?

To increase the velocity of a thrown ball, the force applied or the angle of release can be adjusted. Additionally, using a smoother and more streamlined ball can reduce air resistance and increase the velocity. Improving the technique of the thrower can also lead to a higher velocity.