Calculating Electric Field in a Charged Tube Using Gauss's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss law to find the electric field in the region between the inner and outer radius of a long tube with uniform spatial density. However, there is a discrepancy in the proposed solution and a question about whether the tube is closed. Alternative methods are suggested if Gauss law cannot be used.
yevi
A long tube charge with charged with uniform spatial density [tex]\rho[/tex].
The inner radius of the tube is: a
The outer radius of the tube is: b

Need to find the electric field in: a<r<b

My approach is Gauss:

E*S=4 [tex]\pi[/tex] kq

The S is the Gaussean Surface it should be 2 [tex]\pi[/tex] r^2 ??

and q should be [tex]\rho[/tex]*(r^2-a^2)??

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer should be:
E=2 [tex]\pi[/tex] k[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{r^2-a^2}{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

So I did something wrong...

yevi said:
The answer should be:
E=2 [tex]\pi[/tex] k[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{r^2-a^2}{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

So I did something wrong...

Is the tube closed? because if it isn't then Gauss law can't be used.

what do you mean closed?
The tube is hollow...

If I can't use gauss, what should i use?

I still don't understand why I can't use gauss here.

Anyone? :)

1. What is an electric field in a tube?

An electric field in a tube is a region of space surrounding a charged object or objects where electric forces are exerted on other charged objects. In the context of tubes, it refers to the electric field created inside a cylindrical tube due to the presence of a charged object.

2. How is the electric field in a tube calculated?

The electric field strength in a tube can be calculated using the formula: E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the object, and r is the distance from the charged object to a point inside the tube.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a tube?

The strength of the electric field in a tube is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the object, the distance from the charged object, and the dielectric constant of the material inside the tube. It is also affected by the shape and size of the tube.

4. How does the electric field in a tube influence the movement of charged particles?

The electric field in a tube exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a particular direction. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle. Positively charged particles will move in the direction of the electric field, while negatively charged particles will move in the opposite direction.

5. Can the electric field in a tube be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field in a tube can be shielded or blocked by using a conductive material (such as metal) to surround the charged object. This creates a Faraday cage, which redirects the electric field around the object and reduces its strength inside the tube.