How Do You Rearrange the Speed of Sound Equation to Solve for M in Gas?

Marcus is an expert in algebra and summarizing content. He explains the process of rearranging the speed of sound in gas equation to solve for M. First, he squares both sides of the equation. Then, he multiplies both sides by M and divides both sides by v2. In summary, the equation to find M is M = (gamma * R * T) / v2. Thank you, Marcus, for your help!
cseet
Hi all,

can you pls show me how you rearrange the speed of sound in gas equation from the original equation of:

v (sound) = sqr of [(gamma * R * T) / M]

I would like to find M, I tried to rearrange it to the following:

M = sq of [(gamma * R * T) / v]

pls kindly correct me with these.

thanks
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
cseet said:
Hi all,

can you pls show me how you rearrange the speed of sound in gas equation from the original equation of:

v (sound) = sqr of [(gamma * R * T) / M]

I would like to find M, I tried to rearrange it to the following:

square both sides (in algebra you try to treat each side the same way)

v2 = (gamma * R * T) / M

multiply each side by M (doing the same thing to RHS and LHS is fair)

M * v2 = (gamma * R * T)

divide both sides by v2

M = (gamma * R * T)/ v2

thanks marcus

thanks Marcus, you're a gem!
cseet

1. What factors affect the speed of sound in a gas?

The speed of sound in a gas is affected by the temperature, density, and molecular weight of the gas. As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. Higher density and molecular weight of the gas result in a slower speed of sound.

2. How does the speed of sound in a gas compare to the speed of sound in other mediums?

The speed of sound in a gas is generally slower than the speed of sound in liquids and solids. This is because gas molecules are more spread out and have less interaction with each other compared to molecules in liquids and solids.

3. Does the composition of the gas affect the speed of sound?

Yes, the composition of the gas can affect the speed of sound. Different gases have different molecular weights and densities, which can impact the speed of sound. For example, sound travels faster in helium gas compared to air due to its lower molecular weight and density.

4. What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound in a gas?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound in a gas is: v = √(γRT/M), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic constant, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molecular weight of the gas.

5. How does altitude affect the speed of sound in a gas?

As altitude increases, the speed of sound in a gas decreases. This is because at higher altitudes, the air is less dense and has a lower temperature, resulting in a slower speed of sound. This is why sound travels faster at sea level compared to at high altitudes.