Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620 Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of optical mouse sensors (ADNS-2620) with lenses and without LED in a setting with ambient light. The questions revolve around the ability to track motion and what the sensor would pick up if used solely with ambient light. It is mentioned that the sensor has a low pixel count and built-in logic for tracking surface features, but it also requires a lens for focusing.
neeraj198
Hello,

I got some optical mouse sensors (ADNS-2620) with lenses and I had a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1) If I was to use the sensor in a setting where there was plenty of ambient light, would it be possible to use the sensor and the lens with no LED (this assuming that the sensor is placed very close (~1 mm) to the surface that I want to image) and still have an image that can be used to track motion?

2) What exactly is the sensor going to pick up if I place it very close to the surface that i want imaged, but I use JUST the sensor by itself with NO lens or led and just rely on the ambient light? Is there anyway to get an image that can track motion?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I haven't tried it but it might work.
The sensor is just a very low pixel count camera sensor (3x3 if I recall correctly) and built-in logic tracks the features of the surface it moves over. Be aware that the prism in the optical path has a lens built into focus the mouse pad surface onto the camera sensor. This focusing is necessary.

1. What is an Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620?

An Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620 is a small electronic device that uses light and sensors to track the movement of a computer mouse. It is a common type of sensor used in modern computer mice.

2. How does an Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620 work?

The sensor emits a small red light onto the surface below the mouse and uses a camera to capture images of the surface as the mouse moves. The sensor then analyzes these images to determine the direction and speed of movement.

3. What are the advantages of using an Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620?

Optical mouse sensors have a high resolution, meaning they can track small movements accurately. They also work on a variety of surfaces and do not require a mousepad. Additionally, they have a longer lifespan compared to other types of sensors.

4. Can an Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620 be used for gaming?

Yes, many gaming mice use optical sensors because of their high accuracy and responsiveness. However, some gamers prefer other types of sensors such as laser sensors.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with an Optical Mouse Sensor ADNS-2620?

If your mouse is not functioning properly, try cleaning the sensor and the surface below the mouse. You can also try adjusting the mouse's sensitivity settings. If the issue persists, the sensor may need to be replaced.