Photovoltaic cell as an on/off switch - circuit help

In summary, the individual is seeking help in building a circuit using a photovoltaic cell to turn a handheld camera on and off. They are unsure of the terminology and the issue is that the on/off switch only sends one pulse when pressed, while the photovoltaic cell constantly sends a signal when there is light and no signal when there is no light. The solution suggested is to use a comparator circuit and a one-shot to convert the constant signal into "on" and "off" pulses.
n1ftyneil
Photovoltaic cell as an "on/off" switch - circuit help

Hi all,

My first post here. I'm a Mechanical Engineer prodding my finger where it shouldn't be - circuits! I need help and I am hoping you folks can. PLEASE excuse the umb terminology - I don't know this world well!

I want to turn a handheld camera on/off with a photovoltaic cell and am trying to build a circuit to do so. My problem is this. The on/off switch that I have sends one pulse when you press it on and one when you press it off i.e there is not constantly a signal coming from that switch. However, with the photovoltaic cell, when the light is there, I obviously always have an signal coming and when the light is off, there is nothing.

I need help with what I need to wire inbetween to convert that constant signal so it is recognised as an "on" and that when that constant signal stops, it is registered as turning off.

I'm imagining this is pretty simple?

Many thanks!

Neil

Engineering news on Phys.org

You could use a comparator circuit on the photocell output (using op-amps) to trigger a one-shot (using flip-flops) to give the pulses.

great! Thanks for the comments. No idea what that stuff is but I'm off to google it all.

1. How does a photovoltaic cell work as an on/off switch?

A photovoltaic cell, also known as a solar cell, works by converting light energy into electrical energy. When light hits the cell, it creates an electric field that separates the electrons and holes within the cell. This flow of electrons can be used to turn on or off a circuit, acting as a switch.

2. What is the purpose of using a photovoltaic cell as an on/off switch in a circuit?

The purpose of using a photovoltaic cell as a switch is to create a more energy-efficient circuit. Instead of using a traditional mechanical switch, which requires external energy to operate, a photovoltaic cell uses the natural energy from light to turn the circuit on or off.

3. Can any type of light be used to activate a photovoltaic cell as a switch?

No, only certain wavelengths of light can activate a photovoltaic cell. The cell typically works best with visible light, but some types of cells can also use infrared or ultraviolet light. It is important to use the correct type of light for the specific photovoltaic cell being used.

4. Are there any limitations to using a photovoltaic cell as a switch?

One limitation is that the amount of light hitting the cell will directly affect the amount of electricity produced. Therefore, if the light source is inconsistent or weak, it may not provide enough energy to turn the circuit on or off. Additionally, if the photovoltaic cell is damaged or dirty, it may not function properly as a switch.

5. How can I incorporate a photovoltaic cell as a switch in my circuit?

To incorporate a photovoltaic cell as a switch in a circuit, you will need to connect the cell in series or parallel with other components in the circuit. The specific wiring and placement of the cell will depend on the circuit design and the desired function. It is recommended to consult a professional or reference materials for proper integration of a photovoltaic cell as a switch.