What Is the Correct Velocity of the Standing Wave?

In summary, the standing wave in the picture has a frequency of 100 Hz and a wavelength of 20x10-2 meters. Using the equation Velocity=(wavelength)(frequency), the expected velocity would be 20 meters per second, but this answer is incorrect due to a mistake in unit conversion. The correct answer is 2 meters per second.
Spirochete

Homework Statement

The standing wave in the picture is oscillating at 100 Hz. What is it's velocity?

Homework Equations

Velocity=(wavelength)(frequency)

I believe is the equation that applies here.

The Attempt at a Solution

The wavelength from the picture appears to be 20x10-2 meters.

So velocity should equal (20x10-2)(100)= 20 meters per second

But I know this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• standing wave.jpg
    standing wave.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 341
Physics news on Phys.org
Spirochete said:

Homework Statement

The standing wave in the picture is oscillating at 100 Hz. What is it's velocity?

Homework Equations

Velocity=(wavelength)(frequency)

I believe is the equation that applies here.

The Attempt at a Solution

The wavelength from the picture appears to be 20x10-2 meters.

So velocity should equal (20x10-2)(100)= 20 meters per second

But I know this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Why do you say that the wavelength is 20cm? Draw a full cycle of a sine wave -- what does it look like?

Also, be careful with your units. It looks like you are mixing cm and meters in your multiplication and answer...?

Your attempt at a solution is correct, but the units are incorrect. The wavelength should be in meters (m) and the frequency should be in Hertz (Hz). So the correct equation is velocity = wavelength x frequency, which in this case would be (0.20 m)(100 Hz) = 20 m/s. The key is to make sure that your units are consistent throughout the equation.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two identical waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in points along the wave that appear to be standing still, while other points continue to move back and forth.

2. How is the speed of a standing wave determined?

The speed of a standing wave is determined by the wavelength and frequency of the wave. It is calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency, or by using the equation v = λf, where v is the wave's speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a standing wave?

The only factors that can affect the speed of a standing wave are the wavelength and frequency of the wave. The medium through which the wave travels does not affect its speed.

4. Can the speed of a standing wave be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of a standing wave cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any type of wave can travel.

5. Why is the speed of a standing wave important in scientific research?

The speed of a standing wave is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. It is also a fundamental concept in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.