Free Body diagram & reaction force

In summary, the wheel applies a horizontal reaction force to the surface that is equal to the sum of the torques acting on the wheel at that point.
majin_andrew

Homework Statement

This is just a little part to a bigger problem I am having trouble with. I have simplified it to get to the point.

In the free body diagram shown, I would like to find the value of the horizontal reaction force (RH) applied to the wheel from the surface, assuming there is no slip.

freebodydiagram-2.jpg

(just in case my drawing isn't clear, the yellow thing is like a wheel, and the line with the mass on it is rigid and attached to the wheel thing).

Homework Equations

Possibly equilibrium equations, but I'm not sure because the system isn't necessarily in equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

My best attempt so far is based on my guess that since there is no slip between the surface and the wheel, the reaction force is equal in magnitude to the force that that part of the wheel exerts to the surface.

If this is true, then:

RH = 1/rr*(torque from mg - torque from B - torque from C) + A + B + C

RH = 1/rr*(mg sin(theta) - B*rb - C*rc) + A + B + C

I'm just not sure about the validity of my claim that R will oppose both the moments AND the translational forces.

Thanks guys!

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
what are A,B,C - horizontal forces?

no slip condition means the velcoity at that point is zero, ie the frictional reaction force avaiable is sufficient to prevent any slippage

either way, i would keep in mind that it is likely there to be a horizontal & rotation accerleation that should be included in your force balance ie for each body... that is unless you know they are zero.

[tex] \sum_i F_x_i = ma_x [/tex]

and similarly for vertical & rototions

Yes, A, B and C are horizontal forces.

If the frictional reaction force is sufficient to prevent slippage, does that mean it is equal to (the sum of the forces at that point on the wheel resulting from the torques) + (the sum of the horizontal forces)?

Or is it only the sum of the forces at that point resulting from the torques?

Or is it only the sum of the horizontal forces?

My physical aptitude is letting me down here a little in that I am having trouble understanding the magnitude of the horizontal force that the wheel applies to the surface at that point.

By the way, thanks for your help lanedance.

no worries, but as you need to include the acceleration, i think the answer is not as easy as that... all the following must be satistfied consistenty:

sum of external forces acting on free body balanced with acceleration
[tex] \sum_i F_y_i = ma_y [/tex]
sums of external torques with angular acceleration
[tex] \sum_i T_i = L\alpha[/tex]

now without trying it in detail (disclaimer) I would think you will have to:

1) if the whole struture starts to roll what is the link between angular acceleration & horizontal acceleration? (around centre of rotation, I think is probably easiest where A, is ...)
[tex] a_x = (?) \alpha[/tex]

2) now sum the horizontal forces

3) now sum torques (around centre of rotation) and equate to angular acceleration, also what is moment of inertia L?
[tex] \sum_i T_i = L\alpha[/tex]

now use 1) to relate 2) & 3) and solve for the horizontal force

Last edited:
or you could look at the torque around the point of no slip to get angular acceleration without RH

Thanks that helps a lot!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified visual representation of an object or system, showing all the forces acting on it. It is used to analyze the forces and motion of the object or system.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first identify the object or system of interest. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and label it with the object's name. Next, draw and label all the forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude. Finally, draw arrows to show the direction of each force, making sure they are proportional to their magnitude.

3. What is the purpose of a reaction force in a free body diagram?

A reaction force is a force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to an applied force. It is included in a free body diagram to show how the object or system is interacting with its surroundings and to help determine the net force acting on the object.

4. How do you calculate the net force from a free body diagram?

To calculate the net force, you need to add up all the forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. If the net force is zero, the object will be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. In this case, the diagram will show both the forces acting on the object and its acceleration. By analyzing the forces, you can determine the object's motion and predict its future path.