Solution to Navier-Stokes Equation for dynamic boundary

In summary, the conversation is about finding a full solution to the Navier-Stokes equation for fluid flow through a pipe with moving surfaces. The system being considered is two dimensional with boundaries parallel to the x-axis that move sinusoidally according to a given equation. The relevant terms to solve are narrowed down to two equations, and a possible solution is being tested with several constants to be determined. The conversation also mentions previous solutions for similar problems.
xanthium
I'm looking to get a full solution to the Navier-Stokes equation to describe fluid flow through a pipe with moving surfaces.

For now I am just concerned with a two dimensional system. The upper and lower boundaries are parallel to the x-axis. The surfaces of the boundaries move sinusoidally according to:
Vb(x)=v0*cos(k0*x)

Eliminating several terms from the Navier-Stokes equations, I think the only relevant terms that I need to solve are in the following two equations:

nu*grad^2*v(x,y)+grad*p(x,y)=0

grad*v(x,y)=0

A possible solution that I am trying to test is:
Vx(x,y)=Vx0*e^(i*k0*x)*cos(ky*y)
Vy(x,y)=Vy0*e^(i*k0*x)*sin(ky*y)
P(x,y)=P0*e^(i*k0*x)*e^(i*q*y)

Where Vx0,ky,Vy0,P0,q are constants to be determined. It is clear from the boundary conditions (the no-slip condition in particular) that Vx0=V0. Other than that, I am not sure how to get the other constants or even if this solution works completely.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
xanthium said:
I'm looking to get a full solution to the Navier-Stokes equation to describe fluid flow through a pipe with moving surfaces.

For now I am just concerned with a two dimensional system. The upper and lower boundaries are parallel to the x-axis. The surfaces of the boundaries move sinusoidally according to:
Vb(x)=v0*cos(k0*x)

Eliminating several terms from the Navier-Stokes equations, I think the only relevant terms that I need to solve are in the following two equations:

nu*grad^2*v(x,y)+grad*p(x,y)=0

grad*v(x,y)=0

A possible solution that I am trying to test is:
Vx(x,y)=Vx0*e^(i*k0*x)*cos(ky*y)
Vy(x,y)=Vy0*e^(i*k0*x)*sin(ky*y)
P(x,y)=P0*e^(i*k0*x)*e^(i*q*y)

Where Vx0,ky,Vy0,P0,q are constants to be determined. It is clear from the boundary conditions (the no-slip condition in particular) that Vx0=V0. Other than that, I am not sure how to get the other constants or even if this solution works completely.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I'm a little confused... are the walls moving in their plane (back and forth) or out of plane (up and down)?

The first problem is (IIRC) solved- look up "Stokes' first problem" and "Stokes' second problem"

I understand your desire for a complete solution to the Navier-Stokes equation for fluid flow through a pipe with moving surfaces. However, it is important to note that the Navier-Stokes equation is a highly complex partial differential equation that describes the motion of fluids and is notoriously difficult to solve analytically. In fact, there is no general analytical solution for the Navier-Stokes equation, and even for simple boundary conditions, solutions can only be found for certain simplified cases.

That being said, your proposed solution is a valid approach and it is possible that it could work for your specific system. However, it would require further analysis and verification through numerical simulations or experimental data. Additionally, the constants you have chosen may need to be adjusted to match your specific boundary conditions and physical properties of the fluid.

I would suggest consulting with a fluid dynamics expert or utilizing numerical methods such as computational fluid dynamics to obtain a more accurate and reliable solution for your system. This will also allow you to explore a wider range of boundary conditions and parameters to better understand the behavior of the fluid flow in your system.

Overall, the Navier-Stokes equation is a powerful tool for understanding fluid dynamics, but it is important to recognize its limitations and the need for further analysis and validation in order to obtain accurate solutions.

1. What is the Navier-Stokes Equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in space and time. It takes into account factors such as fluid viscosity, pressure, and velocity to predict the flow of a fluid.

2. Why is finding a solution to the Navier-Stokes Equation important?

Solving the Navier-Stokes equation is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and fluid mechanics. It also has practical implications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and maritime engineering.

3. Is there a general solution to the Navier-Stokes Equation?

No, there is currently no known general solution to the Navier-Stokes equation for all types of boundary conditions. However, there are numerical methods and approximations that can be used to find solutions for specific cases.

4. What are the challenges in finding a solution to the Navier-Stokes Equation for dynamic boundary?

Dynamic boundaries refer to situations where the boundaries of a fluid domain change over time, such as in the case of a moving body through a fluid. This adds an additional level of complexity to the equation, making it more difficult to find a solution. Additionally, the nonlinearity and complexity of the equation make it challenging to solve analytically.

5. Are there ongoing efforts to find a solution to the Navier-Stokes Equation for dynamic boundary?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to find solutions to the Navier-Stokes equation for dynamic boundary conditions. This involves developing new numerical methods, improving existing algorithms, and utilizing high-performance computing techniques. However, it remains a complex and challenging problem in the field of fluid dynamics.