Help with PTFE Washer: No Stress Relaxation Test

• Thread starter jack2100
  • Start date
In summary, PTFE washers are made from a chemical-resistant material called polytetrafluoroethylene and are commonly used in industries such as medical device manufacturing and aerospace. A No Stress Relaxation Test is performed to measure the long-term stability of PTFE washers by subjecting them to constant stress over time. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and material composition can affect the results of the test. This test is important for PTFE washers because they are often used in critical applications where they need to maintain their shape and function over a long period of time.
jack2100
I read the related standards about the PTFE gasket. But there is no stress relaxation test for the PTFE gasket, could you please tell me the reason? Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe my descirption is unclear. my question is how to do the compression stress relaxation test of PTFE gasket? Now I used the teflon gasket for sealing. the PTFE has the aging issue. After 4 years or 6 years, the PTFE gasket may fail due to creeping, whatever. IS there any ASTM standard for this item?

Last edited:

1. What is a PTFE washer?

A PTFE washer is a type of washer made from polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as Teflon. It is commonly used in industries where chemical and temperature resistance are important, such as in the manufacturing of medical devices or in the aerospace industry.

2. What is the purpose of a No Stress Relaxation Test for PTFE washers?

A No Stress Relaxation Test is used to measure the long-term stability of PTFE washers by subjecting them to constant stress over a period of time. This helps determine if the material will experience permanent deformation or failure over time.

3. How is the No Stress Relaxation Test performed?

The test involves placing the PTFE washer between two plates and applying a specific amount of pressure for a set amount of time. After the test is completed, the washer is removed and its dimensions are measured to determine if any relaxation or deformation has occurred.

4. What factors can affect the results of the No Stress Relaxation Test?

The results of the test can be affected by various factors, including the temperature and pressure applied during the test, the material composition of the washer, and the length of time the washer is subjected to stress. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate results.

5. Why is the No Stress Relaxation Test important for PTFE washers?

PTFE washers are often used in critical applications where they need to maintain their shape and function over long periods of time. The No Stress Relaxation Test helps ensure that the washers will not experience significant deformation or failure over time, making them a reliable choice for these types of applications.