Which E&M book should I choose for my studies?

• Thread starter Chan-hee Kim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book E&m
In summary, the professor has recommended the Jackson's book as a better option than the Purcell's book. However, if you are interested in studying Electromagnetic waves in more detail, the Cheng's book may be a better option.
Chan-hee Kim
I have been studied to Purcell's book.

And, this semester finished so I'm finding another book.

Professor recommanded me the Jackson's book.

Which one will be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths (lower level than Jackson) and Landau & Lifschitz (same level as Jackson) are also good books.

And between Griffiths and Jackson is Vanderlinde.

Thank you...
I'll choose Griffiths' one

Jackson is graduate level book, it is much more difficult. Griffin is an under grad book only. Both are Electro Dynamic books. I study and really like Fields and Waves Electro Magnetic by David Cheng. It is very different from the other two, it is mainly for electronic engineering, it is more into phasor, transmission lines, cavity resonance and antennas.

I use Griffin as a reference and I don't particular like it. Depend what EM you are into, consider Cheng. I have all of them, I am into RF and microwave rather physics and Jackson is too advance for me but not cover stuff I want. Cheng is similar or a little higher level than Griffin but is very different. I have many other EM books like Kraus, Popovic, Ulabi, Hayt and Schwarz. Hands down Cheng is the best.

I'm going to major Physics...

but, your recommendation seems to nice.

i'll take a look at the library

I am very serious in studying EM, if you are like me that like to derive a many formula as you can instead of just take the words of the book, Cheng's book is as close as it gets for you. My book is all taped up and glue back because it has been used so much. I can't even buy another one because I put a lot of steps that I derive the formulas in it and a lot of notes also. The last two chapters, I have to copy it and study the copy instead of touching the book!

Even if you get the Griffith book, you are going to need help from the Cheng's book if you study on your own. I reference to Griffith book many times, I never really found anything that Chengs have not explained in Griffith. But you have no choice because you are on the physics side and Griffith seem to be the book for undergrad.

Last edited:
Griffiths is not only an undergrad book - it's the sort of book that is great for learning the material for the first time, at an undergraduate level, but even afterwards it makes a very useful reference. (I speak from experience) If you're prepared, Griffiths should quite sufficient for self-study, at least to the extent that anyone book can be sufficient by itself.

The other classic is, of course, Jackson, but that is much more detailed than Griffiths. Unless you are a Certified Genius :wink:, you'd have little chance of learning this material by studying Jackson alone.

diazona said:
Griffiths is not only an undergrad book - it's the sort of book that is great for learning the material for the first time, at an undergraduate level, but even afterwards it makes a very useful reference. (I speak from experience) If you're prepared, Griffiths should quite sufficient for self-study, at least to the extent that anyone book can be sufficient by itself.

The other classic is, of course, Jackson, but that is much more detailed than Griffiths. Unless you are a Certified Genius :wink:, you'd have little chance of learning this material by studying Jackson alone.

My friend told me not only you have to have the under grad course on EM, you have to complete real analysis and complex analysis on top of PDE before even touch Jackson.

yungman said:
My friend told me not only you have to have the under grad course on EM, you have to complete real analysis and complex analysis on top of PDE before even touch Jackson.

I can't think of anything in either course that would make them necessary preparation for Jackson.

I already mentioned L&L.

Daverz said:
I can't think of anything in either course that would make them necessary preparation for Jackson.

He is the guru in EM, I just took his words. Also for example you really don't need PDE for undergrad EM class, even for graduate engineering EM class. But it sure help.

I bought books on both subjects. I found the real analysis cover a lot of the functions I've seen in different books before, I think there is advantage on taking real analysis. I don't know about the complex analysis though. I never have any problem working through the phasor, traveling wave, transmission lines chapters in the EM books. In fact these are my stronger subjects.

I skimmed the books that i have been recommended here.

At first, Landau's book starts with relativity. and it seems that almost material goes with relativity.

In purcell's book, i studied about relativity a little, but one that in landau seems more general.

And Cheng's book... i was happy about the material about EM waves.

In purcell's book that i used, the EM wave was considered little I think.

In Vanderlinde's book, at first, it works with E, M both fields. and mathmatically... hard

Some problems are supporting that lack.
But Cheng's book, The EM was well considered.

So i think, in static part, Vanderlinde's one is appropriate, and if i need more supplementory, studying cheng's one will be good.

Thank you everybody.

Last edited:
Yeah, L&L's use of relativity is definitely on a higher level than Purcell's. Essentially, Purcell's book is an introductory book, so it uses only the most basic concepts out of special relativity and even those are developed in an appendix. Landau's book is written for more advanced students who are assumed to be already familiar with SR.

I really wouldn't compare Purcell's book to any of the others mentioned here; they're targeted at very different audiences.

My experience is you really have to have a few of the books. No one book can fill the bill. Different books are good at different topics.
I am studying from the RF, microwave engineering side, I am not familiar with a lot of the books mentioned here because I bought a set of book on engineering EM instead. Every book has a different way to present the materials and is good to read different point of view. Like the EM book by Popovic I mentioned, no way this book is good enough to be the main textbook. But the explanation is so far out the left field that I found it interesting to read just to get a different point of view and sometime it really surprised me that it actually clarify my question! Even I study engineering EM, I still own the Griffith and Jackson as reference and in case I want to cross over to the DARK side!

Not to mention I do verify the equation. They do have mistake. The EM books are so much more establish that there are usually very few errors, but I did catch some. Believe me, I study a lot of the RF, microwave coupled lines books and PLL books, they have so many typos it is not even funny. I remember I post the typos of a PLL book by Roland Best on Amazon, he actually reply back and offer to send me the latest copy!

So get at least 3 of your top choice. I always do five myself.

Last edited:
Landau said:
I already mentioned L&L.

I see! The sun was reflecting off my monitor yesterday when I logged on here, I guess that caused me to miss your post.

Chan-hee Kim said:
So i think, in static part, Vanderlinde's one is appropriate

Make sure that you use the second edition, as it corrects a number of mistakes that occur in the first edition.

George Jones said:
Make sure that you use the second edition, as it corrects a number of mistakes that occur in the first edition.

The more advance the book, the more mistake they have! Those typos really really slow you down. You can't move on because if it does not make sense, you don't know whether you understand the subject wrong or what. Every time that happened, I had to read through two other books, re-adapt myself to the new nomencratures to get to the point to compare. And have to take "two out of three" approach a lot of times!

yungman said:

Your friend is BSing. Jackson is self contained. Although, you may need some Complex Analysis and PDEs, mostly for the exersizes.

Jackson is "intermediate" (in my opinion) with Schwinger being a bit more advanced(and better written). Remember, EM, like Classical Mechanics, can be(and should be) taught using topology.

Pinu7 said:
Your friend is BSing. Jackson is self contained. Although, you may need some Complex Analysis and PDEs, mostly for the exersizes.

Jackson is "intermediate" (in my opinion) with Schwinger being a bit more advanced(and better written). Remember, EM, like Classical Mechanics, can be(and should be) taught using topology.

I just listen since he is the project director and chief scientist in Lockheed Martin in charge of over 30 people including bunch of PHDs. His specialty is EM and lazer. Anyway, I am still finishing up Cheng's book. For my field, Cheng is pretty much end of the road. THe next logical progression is Microwave, transmission lines, antennas. Using theory of EM and wave to transform PC board line structures into components like inductors, capacitors, filters, matching networks and the whole slew of things. These I don't think you guys need to worry about!

Count Iblis said:
I see! The sun was reflecting off my monitor yesterday when I logged on here, I guess that caused me to miss your post.
It's ok ;)

Another very good book, which is free, is http://www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book/index.html. I would say it's at about the same level as (or slightly lower than) Jackson. We used it in a course about Classical Field Theory, together with L&L.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top recommended E&M books for beginners?

Some of the most recommended E&M books for beginners include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell, and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson.

2. What are the key factors to consider when choosing an E&M book?

Some key factors to consider when choosing an E&M book include the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the book's approach to problem-solving, and the inclusion of practice problems and solutions.

3. Are there any E&M books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several E&M books that are specifically designed for self-study, such as "Electricity and Magnetism for Mathematicians" by Thomas A. Garrity and "Electricity and Magnetism for Engineers" by Roger F. Harrington.

4. Are there any E&M books that cover both theory and applications?

Yes, there are many E&M books that cover both theory and applications. Some examples include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell, and "Electricity and Magnetism" by W. J. Duffin.

5. Can I find E&M books for different levels of study?

Yes, there are E&M books available for different levels of study, ranging from introductory undergraduate level to advanced graduate level. Some books also offer a combination of both levels, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.