Block and spring collision - work

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the work done by a spring when a block collides with it. The person is unsure about addressing friction and integrating the spring force along the path. They are advised to find the net force, including friction, and use vector quantities in their calculation.
zhenyazh
Hi,
i am preparing for a test and have some problem with the following question.

A moving 2.40 kg block collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is 400 N/m.

The block compresses the spring a maximum distance of 5.00 cm from its rest position. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.450. What is the work done by the spring in bringing the block to rest?

so to find the work done by the spring i should use
w=f*x and in this case since the the force is not constant i should use an integral
of f along the path.
but the result i get is wrong. this i probably because i don't address the friction here.
i just don't know where to push it and i am not sure i should.
if i do the integral until 0.05m that means i implicitly address friction, because if
it were not for it the block would have had a larger trajectory.
can u help?

an image is attached

thanks

Attachments

• spring work.JPG
    spring work.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
ok first what you got to do is find the net force the force applied is what is used to move the object but you must think of it as a vector first
force applied is positive whilst ff is negative
to find the force of friction you must find the normal force which is easy because it is on a flat surface so Fn is the opposite of Fg i think what you were doing is doing is work=force applied x displacement you need the force net multiplied by displacement and make sure that you convert the 5cm into meters
after that you should be fine just remember Eps=K9constant) multiplied by delta X delta x is the displacement
do not attempt to solve this question as a scaler solve it as a vector quantity

Ok great,
but should it not be an integral?
that is the spring force which is part of net force is changining along with the displacement

1. What is the concept of "block and spring collision - work"?

The concept of "block and spring collision - work" refers to the collision between a block and a spring, where the block compresses the spring upon impact and the spring exerts a force back on the block. This force does work on the block, causing it to gain or lose kinetic energy.

2. How is work calculated in a block and spring collision?

Work is calculated as the force applied by the spring multiplied by the distance the spring is compressed or stretched. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in a block and spring collision?

The work done by the spring on the block is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the block. This means that the work done by the spring is responsible for either increasing or decreasing the kinetic energy of the block.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the work done in a block and spring collision?

The mass of the block affects the work done in a block and spring collision by changing the amount of kinetic energy the block has. A heavier block will require more work to be done in order to change its kinetic energy compared to a lighter block.

5. What factors can affect the work done in a block and spring collision?

The work done in a block and spring collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle of collision between the block and the spring. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the work done.