Maple TA - What is this asking?

• Thread starter likearollings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding differentiation and the use of Maple TA. The topic of the assignment is "review of differentiation" and there is confusion about what f subscript zx means. After receiving multiple responses, it is determined that the correct method is to differentiate with respect to x and then again with z. There is also a clarification about the notation for f subscript zx being reversed from the usual notation.
likearollings

Homework Statement

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5496/16943970.jpg

Could anybody here tell me what this question is asking?

I have tried differentiating with respect to y and keeping x and z constant but i got the asnwer wrong. The topic of this assignment is 'review of differentiaion' so I am assuming its something to do with differentiation.

If anybody is familiar with maple TA, is it a glitch or something?

What does f subscript zx mean?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dont be affraid to answer

Partial derivative

Thank you SO MUCH for the overwhelming response, I managed to filter through all the replies and found a lot of correct answer telling me that i had to:

differentiate with respect to x and then again with z.

again thank you so much

likearollings said:
Thank you SO MUCH for the overwhelming response, I managed to filter through all the replies and found a lot of correct answer telling me that i had to:

differentiate with respect to x and then again with z.

again thank you so much

Actually, fzx means differentiate first with respect to z, then respect to x. Of course, the answers are the same if you have continuity of the second partials. Using the other notation you have

[tex]f_{zx} = \frac {\partial^2}{\partial x \partial z}f[/tex]

so, unfortunately, the two notations are reversed from each other.

1. What is Maple TA?

Maple TA is an online assessment and course management platform used in mathematics and science courses to create and grade assignments, quizzes, and exams.

2. How does Maple TA work?

Maple TA uses mathematical algorithms and computer programming to generate unique questions for each student, ensuring fair and accurate assessment. It also provides immediate feedback and automatic grading for assignments.

3. Is Maple TA only used for math courses?

No, Maple TA can be used for a variety of subjects, including physics, chemistry, engineering, economics, and more. It is designed to support any course that requires mathematical or scientific problem-solving.

4. Can I customize the questions in Maple TA?

Yes, Maple TA allows instructors to create their own questions or edit existing ones to fit their course material and learning objectives. They can also set parameters for the questions, such as difficulty level and number of attempts allowed.

5. Can students access Maple TA outside of class?

Yes, Maple TA is accessible 24/7 for students to complete assignments and practice problems outside of class. It also provides resources such as tutorials and practice quizzes to help students improve their understanding and skills.