Solve Quadratic Equation: y^2 - 12y + 32 = 0

• Thread starter fbsthreads
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, in order to solve a quadratic equation, one can use the idea of completing the square where the equation is manipulated to express it as a product of two binomials. This is achieved by finding the values of a and b that satisfy the equations a + b = -12 and ab = 32. By setting the equation equal to 0, the values of a and b are found to be -8 and -4, resulting in the equation (y-8)(y-4) = 0.
fbsthreads
in a maths book i have there is an example of solving a quadratic. part of the process reads:

y^2 - 12y + 32 = 0

implies that

(y-8) (y-4) = 0

i don't understand how this second equation was reached based on the first one.

could someone add in the steps that gets me from the first equation to the implication.

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fbsthreads said:
in a maths book i have there is an example of solving a quadratic. part of the process reads:

y^2 - 12y + 32 = 0

implies that

(y-8) (y-4) = 0

i don't understand how this second equation was reached based on the first one.

could someone add in the steps that gets me from the first equation to the implication.

thanks.
expand:

(y + a)(y + b)

and you get:

y^2 + (a+b)y + ab

so from your equation above you know that:

a + b = -12

and

ab = 32

as

-8 + -4 = -12

and

-8*-4 = 32

a and b must be -8 and -4.

i don't think you can, it is obvious.

if you actually want the logics of thinking its like this:

we want to express the quadratic as (y-a)(y-b),

now a*b = 32

and a + b = 12

so try all the integers you can think of, you'll find 8 and 4 does.

A simple way uses the idea of "completing the square:
[tex]y^{2}-12y+32=0[/tex]
Now, regarding -12=2*(-6), we add 0 to our equation in this manner:
[tex]y^{2}-12y+32+(-6)^{2}-(-6)^{2}=0[/tex]
Or, equivalently, for the Left Hand Side:
[tex]y^{2}-12y+32+(-6)^{2}-(-6)^{2}=(y^{2}-2*6y+6^{2})+(32-6^{2})=(y-6)^{2}-4[/tex]
Furthermore, since [tex]4=2^{2}[/tex] we have:
[tex](y-6)^{2}-4=(y-6)^{2}-2^{2}=(y-6+2)(y-6-2)=(y-4)(y-8)[/tex]

Finally, by setting this expression (which is equivalent to our original left hand side) equal to our originil right hand side (that is,0) we gain:
[tex](y-4)(y-8)=0[/tex]
as required.

thanks people.
it was the bit i have highlighted in bold that i had forgotten about when trying to work it out.

y^2 + (a+b)y + ab

thanks again.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and has two solutions, known as roots.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are multiple methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. For this equation, we will use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

3. How do you know if a quadratic equation has real solutions?

A quadratic equation has real solutions if the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is less than 0, the equation will have complex solutions.

4. What are the solutions to the equation y^2 - 12y + 32 = 0?

Using the quadratic formula, we can plug in the values for a, b, and c to find the solutions. In this case, a = 1, b = -12, and c = 32. Plugging these values into the formula, we get x = 4 or x = 8 as the solutions.

5. How can you check if your solutions are correct?

To check if the solutions are correct, you can substitute them back into the original equation and see if they make it true. For example, if we substitute x = 4, we get 4^2 - 12(4) + 32 = 0, which is true. Therefore, we know that 4 is a valid solution to the equation.