What are the solutions to x^2= 4?

• Thread starter Kinetica
  • Start date
In summary, to find -2≤x2≤4, you can either take the square root of both sides or solve it as two separate inequalities using the solutions of x^2=4. Both methods result in the same solution and show that x^2 will always be positive. A graph of y = x^2, y = -2, and y = -4 will demonstrate this.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

-2≤x2≤4

How to find ...<x<...?
Show I take square root of everything? What about the negative -2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a graph:
y = x^2
y =-2
y = -4

You would see -2≤x2≤4 same as x2≤4

Yes, since [itex]x^2[/itex] is never negative, [itex]-2\le x^2\le 4[/itex] is exactly the same as [itex]0\le x^2\le 4[/itex]. But also note that both positive and negative x will give a positive square.

You could also attempt this as two separate inequalities: You should immediately see that [itex]-2\le x^2[/itex] is true for all x. What about [itex]x^2\le 4[/itex]? I recommend solving inequalities like this by first solving the related equality. What are the two solutions to [itex]x^2= 4[/itex]? Those two numbers (lets call them a and b with a< b) divide the set of all real numbers into 3 intervals: x< a, a< x< b, and b< x. In each of those we have either [itex]x^2< 4[/itex] or [itex]x^2> 4[/itex]. You could choose one point in each interval to determine which is true for all points in that interval.

1. What does it mean to find x in -2≤x^2≤4?

Finding x in -2≤x^2≤4 means finding the possible values of x that satisfy the given inequality. In other words, we are looking for the range of values that x can take on in order for the statement to be true.

2. How do I solve for x in -2≤x^2≤4?

To solve for x, we need to isolate it on one side of the inequality. In this case, we can take the square root of both sides to get rid of the exponent. Remember to consider both the positive and negative square root when solving for x.

3. What is the solution set for -2≤x^2≤4?

The solution set for this inequality is the range of values that x can take on in order for the statement to be true. In this case, the solution set is -2≤x≤2, which means that x can take on any value between -2 and 2, including -2 and 2.

4. Can I use a calculator to find x in -2≤x^2≤4?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x in this inequality. However, it is important to know how to solve it manually as well, as some inequalities may not be easily solved using a calculator.

5. How do I graph -2≤x^2≤4 to find the solution set?

To graph this inequality, we can start by plotting the boundary lines -2 and 2 on a number line. Then, we can shade the region between these two lines to indicate the solution set. This will give us a visual representation of the range of values that x can take on.