Human Resource pre-hiring tests

In summary: Did you notice that?Hmm...well if I remember, they said it's to help understand our coworkers. And to be honest, it did help. I thought some people were dour and quiet because they were kind of @ssholes but no, it was just their temperament. I thought it odd that so many PFers scored INTJ, it's not a common type. Did you notice that?
airborne18
How many of you have ever been excluded from a position because the company made all applicants take the myers-briggs or a compentency skills assesment?

Just wondering, because in my software life I got a lot of consulting work because companies could not hire the talent to do development projects. And it was because the intense developers didn't fit the corporate culture.

I am taking some HR courses as part of my endless quest for knowledge and unlimited funds to go school until i get a Degree. And I am doing a course on this stuff and I just did a paper slamming these tests. Was that the assignment? Nope. It was to illustrate how useful they were, but you say tomato and tomatoe.

Physics news on Phys.org
At one of my jobs, we were all given the option to take the Meyers-Briggs, but we were all permanent employees who had been there a while. I thought it was helpful.

Btw, there was a thread in General Discussion not long ago about the test. I'll find the link...

Here it is...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281171

lisab said:
At one of my jobs, we were all given the option to take the Meyers-Briggs, but we were all permanent employees who had been there a while. I thought it was helpful.

Btw, there was a thread in General Discussion not long ago about the test. I'll find the link...

Here it is...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=281171

Thanks, I should have searched.

What did they use if for? Career development or to identify training needs? Do you know the reason? ( And thanks, this sort of feedback will help me with my course ).

airborne18 said:
Thanks, I should have searched.

What did they use if for? Career development or to identify training needs? Do you know the reason? ( And thanks, this sort of feedback will help me with my course ).

Hmm...well if I remember, they said it's to help understand our coworkers. And to be honest, it did help. I thought some people were dour and quiet because they were kind of @ssholes but no, it was just their temperament.

I thought it odd that so many PFers scored INTJ, it's not a common type.

As a scientist, my response to this content would be that pre-hiring tests, such as the Myers-Briggs or competency skills assessments, can be useful tools in the hiring process. However, they should not be the sole determining factor in hiring decisions. These tests can provide valuable insights into an individual's personality, strengths, and weaknesses, but they should be used in conjunction with other factors such as a candidate's experience, qualifications, and references.

It is important for companies to consider the potential biases and limitations of these tests, as they may not accurately reflect an individual's true abilities or potential for success in a specific role. Therefore, it is crucial for companies to use pre-hiring tests as just one piece of the puzzle in evaluating a candidate, rather than relying solely on them to make hiring decisions.

In addition, companies should also be mindful of how these tests may exclude certain individuals from consideration for a position. It is important to ensure that these tests are not discriminatory and that they do not unfairly eliminate qualified candidates from the hiring process.

I would recommend that companies use pre-hiring tests as a supplement to other hiring methods, rather than relying on them as the primary decision-making tool. It is important for companies to consider the individual strengths and qualifications of each candidate in order to find the best fit for their organization.

1. What are human resource pre-hiring tests?

Human resource pre-hiring tests are assessments that are used by employers to evaluate a candidate's skills, abilities, and potential fit for a specific job. These tests can include cognitive ability tests, personality tests, and skills assessments.

2. Why do companies use pre-hiring tests?

Companies use pre-hiring tests to ensure they are hiring the most qualified and suitable candidates for a position. These tests can provide valuable insights into a candidate's abilities and potential job performance, helping companies make more informed hiring decisions.

3. Are pre-hiring tests legal?

Yes, pre-hiring tests are legal as long as they are not discriminatory and are job-related. Employers must ensure that the tests they use are fair and unbiased and do not discriminate against any protected characteristics, such as race, gender, or religion.

4. Can a candidate prepare for pre-hiring tests?

While candidates cannot study for pre-hiring tests, they can familiarize themselves with the format and types of questions commonly used. This can help them feel more confident and perform better on the actual test.

5. Can pre-hiring tests accurately predict job performance?

Pre-hiring tests are designed to assess specific skills and abilities that are relevant to the job. While they cannot guarantee job performance, they can provide valuable insights into a candidate's potential fit for the role. It is important for employers to use a combination of pre-hiring tests and other hiring methods to make well-informed hiring decisions.