How common is it for a professor to take classes?

In summary, it is common for professors to take classes at their grad school over the summer. It is also feasible for a professor to take classes at the university they work at, typically for fun or informal credit. However, it may be difficult for professors to find time to take classes while also balancing research and teaching responsibilities. Some universities may also require professors to become accredited engineers, leading to them taking classes with undergraduates. Despite the desire to take classes, many professors are often too busy to do so.
Dauden
One of my current professors is taking classes over the summer at his grad school. How common is this?

I plan on getting a PhD in mechanical engineering right now and assuming I was able to get a job as a professor at a university, would I be able to take classes at that university? I would be interested in taking things like advanced physics or mathematics. Do you think it would be free? Is it even feasible while being a professor that does research at a university?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually all staff and faculty get 1 course free per semester. I know several professors who have taken classes-for fun, primarily.

Surely you can take as many classes as you like (noones going to kick you out of the classroom!)

Dauden said:
One of my current professors is taking classes over the summer at his grad school. How common is this?

Pretty common.

I would be interested in taking things like advanced physics or mathematics. Do you think it would be free? Is it even feasible while being a professor that does research at a university?

A lot of it ends up being informal since most professors don't need formal credit. You talk to the other professor and show up in classes. The other thing is that people often have informal classes at various conferences, and professors do a lot of traveling. If you have to get everyone together for a class, you might as well do it where the beaches are nice.

At my University, they decided to require all the Engineering profs to become accredited Engineers (that's Engineer with a TM beside them, and under license from the province). As a result, a lot of profs with Physics or CS backgrounds ended up in classes with undergrads (they usually only required the 'soft' electives, like engineering finance, project management, etc. plus the ethics course).

Self-deprecating quote relayed to me by one of my friends, courtesy of a prof they had:
Anonymous Professor said:
Today, I learned about testing methods and proper test-writing in the Education class I'm taking. Unfortunately, since I already wrote your midterm, you guys aren't going to benefit from this discovery.

as a professor i never had time to take any classes, but in my year off i did take several classes. we would love to take classes but we are busy.

1. How common is it for a professor to take classes?

The frequency of professors taking classes varies depending on the institution and the specific professor's role and responsibilities. Some professors may be required to take classes as part of their job, while others may choose to take classes for personal or professional development.

2. Do professors have to take classes?

In most cases, professors are not required to take classes. However, some institutions may have policies or expectations for professors to continue their education and stay current in their field.

3. Can professors take classes at any level?

Yes, professors can take classes at any level, from undergraduate to graduate and even post-graduate levels. They may also take classes in different subject areas, depending on their expertise and interests.

4. Are professors graded in the classes they take?

This also varies depending on the institution and the specific class. Some professors may take classes for credit and be graded like any other student, while others may audit classes without receiving a grade.

5. Do professors have to pay for the classes they take?

In most cases, professors do not have to pay for the classes they take. As employees of the institution, they may receive tuition waivers or other benefits that cover the cost of their classes.