Harmonic Infrared Wave Propogation

In summary, the given problem presents a plane harmonic infrared wave traveling through a transparent medium, with the expression Ex(y,t) = Eosin2(pi)[y/5*10-7 - 3*10-14t] and all quantities expressed in S.I. units. The question asks for the vacuum wavelength of this wave, for which the given answer of 500 nm is incorrect and the correct answer is 1000 nm. This is due to the refractive index being 2 and the value of 3*10^-14 being a strange, incorrect value. Additionally, 500 nm is not in the infrared range, while 1000 nm is in the near infrared range.
zorro

Homework Statement

A plane harmonic infrared wave traveling through a transparent medium is given by Ex(y,t) = Eosin2(pi)[y/5*10-7 - 3*10-14t] where all the quantities are expressed in S.I. units. The vacuum wavelength of this wave is?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer as 1000 nm but the given answer is 500 nm. I think the given answer is incorrect. Can somebody verify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:

Homework Statement

A plane harmonic infrared wave traveling through a transparent medium is given by Ex(y,t) = Eosin2(pi)[y/5*10-7 - 3*10-14t] where all the quantities are expressed in S.I. units. The vacuum wavelength of this wave is?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer as 1000 nm but the given answer is 500 nm. I think the given answer is incorrect. Can somebody verify?

How did you do the calculation?

Tell me which one is correct first then I will post my calculations.

Abdul Quadeer said:

It should not be 500 nm because that's the wavelength in the medium, so the vacumm wavelength should be different. The value of 3*10^-14 is strange (too small), so I don't know how did you get the 1000 nm.

Abdul Quadeer said:

You are right!. The refractive index is 2, (but nu=3*10^14, I was taking ^-14), so the wavelength in the vacuum is 1000 nm.

Thanks!

In addition, 500 nm is Not infrared, however 1000nm is in the near infrared.

1. What is Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation?

Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation is a phenomenon in which infrared waves travel through a medium in a specific pattern, known as a harmonic pattern. This pattern is characterized by a regular oscillation of the infrared waves, resulting in a smooth and consistent propagation of energy.

2. How is Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation different from other types of wave propagation?

Unlike other types of wave propagation, such as chaotic or random, harmonic infrared wave propagation follows a predictable and consistent pattern. This makes it ideal for certain applications, such as wireless communication and remote sensing.

3. What are the applications of Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation?

Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation has a wide range of applications, including wireless communication, remote sensing, and medical imaging. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, defense, and telecommunications.

4. How is Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation measured and analyzed?

Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation can be measured and analyzed using various techniques, such as Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and interferometry. These techniques allow scientists to study the properties and behavior of infrared waves, and make predictions about their propagation.

5. Can Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Harmonic Infrared Wave Propagation can be manipulated and controlled using various methods. For example, scientists can use materials with different refractive indices to alter the propagation of infrared waves. They can also use devices such as filters and lenses to focus or filter the waves.