Maxwell boltzman (very sorry )

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxwell
In summary, the conversation involves an attempt to show the formula v_average=sqrt(8kT/(pi)m) using Maxwell Boltzmann distribution. It starts with the equation f(v)=4pi(m/2pi mkT)^3/2 * v^2 * e^(-mv^2/2kT), and the goal is to solve the integral of this equation. By substituting x=v^2 and using integration by parts, the final answer is found to be -sqrt(kT/2m*pi). However, the conversation also mentions that the answer should actually be sqrt(8kT/m*pi), pointing out a discrepancy in the sign and the sqrt value. The error is found to be in the
AStaunton
maxwell boltzman (very sorry!)

I attempted to post this already but the latex code didn't work out and also the edit command didn't seem to work...so I am reposting, very sorry for the duplicate but do not know how to remove original!:

trying to show v_average=sqrt(8kT/(pi)m) using max boltz. distrib.:

[tex]f(v)=4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi mkT})^{\frac{3}{2}}v{}^{2}e^{-\frac{mv^{2}}{2kT}}[/tex]

to start with the formula is:

[tex]\langle v\rangle=\int_{0}^{\infty}vf(v)dv[/tex]

to solve this need substitution x=v^2 and this gives dx=2vdv which gives 1/2dx=vdv and so leads to:

[tex]4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi kT})^{\frac{3}{2}}\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\infty}xe^{-mx/kT}dx[/tex]

can now integrate the above by parts:

u=x dv=e^-mx/kT
du=dx v=-(kT/m)e^-mx/kT

the uv expression evaluates to 0 and so the final part of interest I am left with is:

[tex]\frac{kT}{m}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-mx/kT}dx=-\frac{k^{2}T^{2}}{m^{2}}e^{-mx/kT}|_{0}^{\infty}=-\frac{k^{2}T^{2}}{m^{2}}[/tex]

not forgetting the constant term that was brought outside integral at very start:

[tex](2\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi kT})^{\frac{3}{2}})(-\frac{k^{2}T^{2}}{m^{2}})=-\sqrt{\frac{kT}{2m\pi}}[/tex]

this is my final answer and is in disagreement with the answer I should have gotten for two reasons:
the sign is clearly wrong and also instead of sqrt2 on the bottom I should have sqrt8 on the top:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{8kT}{m\pi}}[/tex]

Can anyone suggest where problem is, as I have rechecked a few times and I keep coming out with the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

OK, just figured saw why I got the sqrt2 on the bottom instead of sqrt8 on the top:
the expression has e^-mv^2/2kT I thought it was simply e^-mv^2/kT.

Still can't see where the sign went wrong though

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas or liquid at a given temperature. It predicts the most probable speed of particles in a gas or liquid and how that speed is distributed among the particles.

2. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a gas or liquid. It allows us to calculate important properties such as average speed and kinetic energy, which are essential for understanding physical and chemical processes.

3. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that particles in a gas have different speeds and directions of motion. The distribution is based on statistical mechanics and assumes that particles obey classical laws of motion.

4. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution depends on the temperature and molecular weight of the gas or liquid. Higher temperatures lead to a broader distribution with more high-speed particles, while heavier molecules result in a narrower distribution with fewer high-speed particles.

5. How does the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution relate to the ideal gas law?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is related to the ideal gas law through the root-mean-square (rms) speed of particles. The rms speed is used in the ideal gas law to calculate pressure and is derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Therefore, the distribution is an essential component of the ideal gas law and its applications.