A simple question from Rudin's principles of mathematical analysis

In summary: I hope you got the rest of the proof.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the statement that if x,y \in R, and x<y, then there exists a p \in Q such that x<p<y. The proof utilizes the Archemedean property to obtain positive integers n, m1, and m2. The confusion arises at the point where the existence of an integer m (with -m2<=m<=m1) such that m-1 <= nx < m is proven. The conversation then clarifies this part by using the well-ordering principle and the fact that nx>0. Finally, it is agreed upon that there are no more holes in the proof.
AdrianZ
It's NOT a homework. I'm self-studying Rudin's Analysis and I came to this part that I can't follow the argument after a certain point:

statement: if x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R, and x<y, then there exists a p [itex]\in[/itex] Q such that x<p<y.

Proof: since x<y, we have y-x>0, and the Archemedean property furnishes a positive integer n such that:
n(y-x)>1
Apply the Archemedes' property again to obtain positive integers m1 and m2 such that m1>nx, m2>-nx. Then:
-m2<nx<m1.

[Here is where I get confused].
Hence there is an integer m (with -m2<=m<=m1) such that: *
m-1 <= nx < m. *
If we combine these inequalities, we obtain
nx < m <= 1 + nx < ny. *

Since n>0, it follows that
x < m/n <y.

I don't understand the places that I've marked with *. I fail to follow the argument after the place that I've mentioned it. Can anyone clarify up these statements for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

AdrianZ said:
It's NOT a homework. I'm self-studying Rudin's Analysis and I came to this part that I can't follow the argument after a certain point:

statement: if x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R, and x<y, then there exists a p [itex]\in[/itex] Q such that x<p<y.

Proof: since x<y, we have y-x>0, and the Archemedean property furnishes a positive integer n such that:
n(y-x)>1
Apply the Archemedes' property again to obtain positive integers m1 and m2 such that m1>nx, m2>-nx. Then:
-m2<nx<m1.

[Here is where I get confused].
Hence there is an integer m (with -m2<=m<=m1) such that: *
m-1 <= nx < m. *

Denote

[tex]m=min\{k~\vert~nx<k\}[/tex]

Then m will satisfy [itex]m-1\leq nx<m[/itex] (try to prove this). There is only one question: does the minimum exist? That is, does the set [itex]\{k~\vert~nx<k\}[/itex] nonempty and does it has a lower bound.

If we combine these inequalities, we obtain
nx < m <= 1 + nx < ny. *

What exactly don't you understand here?
[itex]nx<m[/itex] by the choice of m
[itex]m\leq 1+nx[/itex] since [itex]m-1\leq nx[/itex]
[itex]1+nx<ny[/itex] since [itex]n(y-x)>1[/itex].

Since n>0, it follows that
x < m/n <y.

I don't understand the places that I've marked with *. I fail to follow the argument after the place that I've mentioned it. Can anyone clarify up these statements for me please?

micromass said:
Hi AdrianZ! :smile:

Denote

[tex]m=min\{k~\vert~nx<k\}[/tex]

Then m will satisfy [itex]m-1\leq nx<m[/itex] (try to prove this). There is only one question: does the minimum exist? That is, does the set [itex]\{k~\vert~nx<k\}[/itex] nonempty and does it has a lower bound.

well, since x is a positive real number and n is a natural number then nx>0. k>nx by definition, therefore k is a positive integer. to prove that the set is nonempty I should show that no matter how large nx is, there is always a k such that nx<k. well, suppose that It wasn't true. therefore for any positive integer k we had k<=nx which leads to a false statement that the set of positive integers has an upper bound. so there exists a positive integer k such that nx<k which means the set is non-empty. Now we know that the set [tex]A = \{k~\vert~nx<k\}[/tex] is non-empty and its members are positive integers. the well-ordering principle now guarantees the existence of the smallest k in the set which is the m we want. so the existence part of the theorem is now completed.
Now to prove that [itex]m-1\leq nx<m[/itex] one need to realize that if [itext]m-1\leq nx[/itext] wasn't true, then we had nx<m-1. but m-1<m and m was the smallest positive number s.t nx<k, which is a contradiction. that proves the inequality part.

What exactly don't you understand here?
[itex]nx<m[/itex] by the choice of m
[itex]m\leq 1+nx[/itex] since [itex]m-1\leq nx[/itex]
[itex]1+nx<ny[/itex] since [itex]n(y-x)>1[/itex].

Now I understand it completely.

Are we done or there are still holes in the argument that we need to fill?

AdrianZ said:
well, since x is a positive real number and n is a natural number then nx>0. k>nx by definition, therefore k is a positive integer. to prove that the set is nonempty I should show that no matter how large nx is, there is always a k such that nx<k. well, suppose that It wasn't true. therefore for any positive integer k we had k<=nx which leads to a false statement that the set of positive integers has an upper bound. so there exists a positive integer k such that nx<k which means the set is non-empty. Now we know that the set

OK, a few remarks: we don't know if x is positive or not. Second, it was easier if you would just use m1 and m2 in your argument. The existence of m
provides a lower bound, and the existence of m1 says that the set is nonempty.

Are we done or there are still holes in the argument that we need to fill?

It's alright, I think.

micromass said:
OK, a few remarks: we don't know if x is positive or not. Second, it was easier if you would just use m1 and m2 in your argument. The existence of m
provides a lower bound, and the existence of m1 says that the set is nonempty.

It's alright, I think.

Ah, right! well, thanks for the proof.

1. What is the significance of the "simple question" in Rudin's principles of mathematical analysis?

The "simple question" refers to the fundamental question of whether a given mathematical statement is true or false. This question is at the core of mathematical analysis and serves as the basis for proving theorems and developing mathematical theories.

2. How does Rudin's principles of mathematical analysis approach the "simple question"?

Rudin's principles of mathematical analysis uses a rigorous and logical approach to analyze mathematical statements and determine their truthfulness. This involves breaking down complex statements into simpler ones and using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to build a logical argument.

3. Can you give an example of a "simple question" in mathematical analysis?

One example of a "simple question" in mathematical analysis is the question of whether a given real number is rational or irrational. This question can be answered using the definition of rational and irrational numbers, along with the properties of real numbers.

4. How does solving the "simple question" contribute to the field of mathematical analysis?

Solving the "simple question" is essential for developing and advancing the field of mathematical analysis. By answering whether a mathematical statement is true or false, mathematicians can build upon these results to prove theorems, develop new theories, and solve real-world problems.

5. What skills are required to effectively approach and solve the "simple question" in mathematical analysis?

To effectively approach and solve the "simple question" in mathematical analysis, one must have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as logic, set theory, and algebra. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are crucial skills for analyzing and proving mathematical statements.