Analyzing wave interference patterns

In summary, the equation |P^n S^1-P^2 S^2| = (n-(1/2))(lambda) is valid for the point P. This equation is used to calculate the path difference between two sources with the same frequency. If the point P lies on the normal line, then the equation would be n=1/2.
sillyquark
Hello, this is my first visit to PF. I have a question that I can tell isn't very difficult, but I can't seem get my head around it, maybe i just need to review my text and make an attempt tomorrow.

Homework Statement

Consider the point P in the following diagram. Analyze this diagram to show that the equation
|P^n S^1-P^2 S^2| = (n-(1/2))(lambda) is valid for this particular location for the point P.

the ^ indicates a subscript

Homework Equations

|P^n S^1-P^2 S^2| = (n-(1/2))(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made an attempt at a solution, but I am not looking for any answers. If someone could help me understand the problem better, I am sure that I can solve the question.

Attachments

• equation.png
    equation.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 390
  • wave interference.png
    wave interference.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have two different sources with the same frequency then there will be places where there is destructive interference. Those places are the points that lie on the lines labeled N1 and N2. For N=1 the formula in the attached thumbnail says that for any point P_1 that lies on the line N=1 then the difference in the distances P_1S_1 and P_1S_2 is one half the wavelength and there will be destructive interference.

Hope that helps.

I'm still a little unsure what the question wants, should I attempt to prove the statement algebraically? Should I be reasoning, and rationalize the equation in a manner similar to what you have done? The question is worth four marks so I assume that they are looking for four points of proof.

All that I can come up with at the moment is:
Since the point P lies on the third nodal line, the absolute value of the path difference between (S1,P) and (S2,P), is equal to 2 1/2 times the wavelength. Since 2 1/2 is a multiple of 1/2, the point lies on a path of destructive interference between the two waves.

One problem I have encountered is if the point lies on the normal line (line down the center). Would n=0? If so wouldn't my answer state that there is a difference in distance between point P and the two frequency generating sources, when clearly the line bisects them. Is this equation useless when calculating on the normal line since there is no difference in distance between the two points? Or does n=1/2 when a point lies on the normal line, this would allow multiplication by 0 which would agree with rational thought. That being said n>or=1/2?

I'm sorry to run on but the text was not concise. Should I include the correct version from the statement above in my answer or stick to evidence directly concerning point P. Finally, should I draw on a ratio between S1, S2, and any point (P for example) since they form a triangle.

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon where two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create a smaller amplitude.

2. How do you analyze wave interference patterns?

To analyze wave interference patterns, you can use a variety of techniques such as graphical methods, mathematical calculations, or experimental measurements. These methods can help determine the phase difference, amplitude, and wavelength of the interfering waves.

3. What factors affect wave interference patterns?

The factors that affect wave interference patterns include the wavelength, amplitude, and frequency of the waves, as well as the distance between the sources of the waves. The medium through which the waves travel can also affect the interference patterns.

4. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a smaller amplitude or no wave at all.

5. Why is wave interference important?

Wave interference is important because it helps us understand how waves behave and interact with each other. It is also used in various applications, such as in noise-cancellation technology, to control and manipulate wave patterns for specific purposes.