Calculating Speed, Acceleration & Force on Take-off of 600kg Aeroplane

• Thread starter Turkish
  • Start date
In summary, the aeroplane takes off with an initial velocity of 0 and a final velocity of 500kph. It needs a force of 450N to achieve this acceleration.
Turkish
Hi again.. Heres the question can someone give me a formula to solve these thanks.

An aeroplane of mass 600kg takes off from rest in 50secs over a distance of 1500m
a) calculate i) its speed when it lifts off
ii) its acceleration during take-off
iii) the force needed to produce this acceleration

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You should solve part ii, first.

You know your initial velocity and position (both 0).
You know your final position.
You know your time.

You also know the mass of the plane (you need this to solve part iii).

While you don't have an equation that solves for accleration, you do have an equation that solves for final position if you already knew acceleration. You can rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration.

Finding your acceleration gives you enough info to find your final velocity and the force required to accelerate the airplane.

Turkish, what do you think is the right formula ? Any guesses ?

Bob, I don't agree that one should solve part ii, first. I think it's ok to solve part i first, but I could be wrong, because it has been a few years since I've taken physics.

Average velocity (AV) when initial velocity (IV) = 0 is half final velocity (FV), and AV = (change in) x / (change in) t

If you want to solve ii first, use (change in) x = IV*t + .5*a*t^2 and then for i use FV = IV + a*t.

Last edited:
philosophking, 2 things :

1. We do not do other people's homework for them. That would be counterproductive, besides being unethical. We try to help by provoking thought or giving suggestions. We expect the student to have put in an effort before coming here. Please read the "sticky" at the top of this forum.

2. While I agree that your approach will work just as well as BobG's, I'd like to point out that you have a typo in your formula for the average velocity.

It's not too late to edit your post to conform to guidelines.

I think there should be no problem for diligent,bright students.
You are able to solve these questions.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a 600kg aeroplane during take-off?

The speed of a 600kg aeroplane during take-off can be calculated by dividing the total take-off distance by the time it takes for the plane to reach that distance. This is known as the average take-off speed.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration during take-off?

The formula for calculating acceleration during take-off is a = (vf - vi)/t, where "a" represents acceleration, "vf" represents final velocity, "vi" represents initial velocity, and "t" represents time.

3. How much force is needed to lift a 600kg aeroplane off the ground?

The force needed to lift a 600kg aeroplane off the ground is dependent on several factors, such as the type of engine and the aerodynamic design of the plane. However, on average, a force of approximately 6,000 Newtons is needed to lift a 600kg aeroplane off the ground.

4. What is the relationship between speed and force during take-off?

The relationship between speed and force during take-off is directly proportional. This means that as the speed of the aeroplane increases, the force needed to lift it off the ground also increases.

5. How do you calculate the total force exerted on a 600kg aeroplane during take-off?

The total force exerted on a 600kg aeroplane during take-off can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the plane (600kg) by its acceleration (calculated using the formula mentioned in question 2). This will give you the total force needed to accelerate the plane during take-off.