Is There a Center to the Expanding Universe? And How Does Light Factor In?

In summary, the universe is expanding without a center or edge, and we have good reason to believe that there isn't one. Andromeda is very close to us and the gravitational attraction between the two galaxies is much stronger than the expansion. The most accurate statement is that nothing can outrun a photon, but the expansion of space CAN and DOES cause objects to recede from us (and us from them) at a velocity that is greater than c. The expansion of space is uniform (on average) throughout space, and it doesn't make sense to describe it by a speed.
allo4
Ok I have very little knowledge of all this but I was thinking about the expansion of the universe and light. First off the universe is expanding from every direction right so there is no centre but then is it andromeda that is supposed to be coming towards us. Anyway I was going to use that in my argument but I'm sure someone will have a good explanation for that, what I was actually thinking was what if there was a centre and an edge but our visible universe is so small in comparison that we can't see far enough to se the difference in expansion closest to the centre in comparison than to the edge.
My thought about light then was that nothing can go faster and so this would be a likly candidate for the speed of the expansion at the moment I have more thoughts but these are probably stupid enough to start with...

Space news on Phys.org
Well, first off, welcome to PF. Second, don't beat yourself up over not knowing about expansion and the speed of light. We all start somewhere.

Currently, as you know, the universe is believed to be expanding without a center or edge. Whether there is or isn't is unknown, but we do have good reason for believing that there isn't either one. For one thing, expanding from a center would NOT cause galaxies to recede from us in all directions equally. The largest recession velocities would only be in the radial direction. (Radial is the direction from the center, like spokes on a bicycle tire)

Now, you may have heard that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. This is both true AND false. The most accurate statement is that nothing can outrun a beam of light. (AKA a photon) However, the expansion of space CAN and DOES cause objects to recede from us (and us from them) at a velocity that is greater than c. (c is the speed of light)

How is this possible you ask? The key is the expansion of space. You can imagine that galaxies and other objects are "carried" with space as it expands. This is helpful to help you visualize, but isn't quite accurate. Still, I recommend thinking of it that way.

All this is actually incorporated into General Relativity, whereas the maximum speed being c is only in Special Relativity. GR is the "big" theory that incorporates everything together, while SR simply works with non-accelerating observers and the absence of forces and was developed prior to Einstein working out GR. So SR is the precursor to GR.

Hey Allo, welcome to PF!

Firstly, Andromeda is very close to use compared to other galaxies. Expansion is very weak, the gravitational attraction between the two galaxies is much stronger. All other galaxies outside of our local cluster are receding from us.

Remember, because of the Cosmic Microwave Background, we know the universe is homogeneous. The CMB is essentially the light that we view at the edge of our observable universe (our light-cone) that depicts the universe 300,000 years after the big bang - and it describes a universe filled with a uniform soup of particles, eventually giving way to a universe with a uniform distribution of galaxies on very large scales.

It is important to keep in my that if the universe is finite, it wraps back around on itself, there is no boundary. Think of the surface of a sphere, or the surface of a torus.

Remember, nothing can travel through spacetime faster than light. Space itself is not restricted by this limit, spatial expansion can be far larger. The metric expansion of the universe is expressed as the Hubble Constant, which is a scalar that allows you to calculate the recessional velocity of a galaxy based off of its proper distance away from you. The Hubble Constant has been estimated to be approximately [itex] 70.8 \pm 4 (km/s)Mpc [/itex] by WMAP.

ok I was hoping that there was a connection between light and expansion for a lot of follow up questions but one (still ridiculous probably) is could it be that a mass doesn't warp the fabric of space but the other way around, the distortion of space creates a mass and a wave in space creates light.

allo4 said:
My thought about light then was that nothing can go faster and so this would be a likly candidate for the speed of the expansion ...

Since the expansion is uniform (on average) throughout space, it doesn't make sense to describe it by a speed. Imagine putting a map of distant galaxies into a photocopier set to magnify by 1%. The rate of expansion of the universe is roughly 1% per 200 million years at present.

allo4 said:
ok I was hoping that there was a connection between light and expansion for a lot of follow up questions but one (still ridiculous probably) is could it be that a mass doesn't warp the fabric of space but the other way around, the distortion of space creates a mass and a wave in space creates light.

Mass is a property of matter and energy, not space. If space curvature caused mass then you would have to come up with some really weird rules to explain why it follows matter and energy around. It just doesn't make sense that way. Also, light is an electromagnetic wave that propagates through space. This was shown to be so over 100 years ago.

Drakkith said:
Mass is a property of matter and energy, not space. If space curvature caused mass then you would have to come up with some really weird rules to explain why it follows matter and energy around.

Slightly off-topic but can you explain what distinction you are making between "matter" and "energy"?

GeorgeDishman said:
Slightly off-topic but can you explain what distinction you are making between "matter" and "energy"?

Matter: Protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, hadrons, leptons, etc.
Energy: That ability to do work. Along with the more asbtract definitions.

Does that help?

Drakkith said:
Matter: Protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, hadrons, leptons, etc.
Energy: That ability to do work. Along with the more asbtract definitions.Does that help?

Yes thanks. Having done more on cosmology lately, I tend to think of "matter" versus "radiation" as being a classification of types of energy.

1. How is the universe expanding?

The universe is expanding due to the force of dark energy, which is causing space itself to stretch. This expansion is also causing galaxies to move away from each other at increasing speeds.

2. What is the role of light in the expanding universe?

Light plays a crucial role in understanding the expanding universe. By measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies, we can determine the rate of expansion and the age of the universe.

3. How does the expansion of the universe affect the speed of light?

The expansion of the universe does not affect the speed of light. The speed of light is a fundamental constant and remains the same regardless of the expansion of space.

4. Can we see the edge of the expanding universe?

No, we cannot see the edge of the expanding universe. This is because the universe has no defined edge and is constantly expanding, making it impossible for us to see the edge with our current technology.

5. How does the expanding universe impact the formation of new stars and galaxies?

The expanding universe does not directly impact the formation of new stars and galaxies. However, the expansion does affect the distribution of matter and energy, which can influence the formation of structures like stars and galaxies over time.