Can Aluminum Actually Steal Electrons from Silicon in a Diode?

• Thread starter Dual Op Amp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes
In summary, when aluminum is mixed with silicon, it creates a hole due to the lack of electrons to share. The aluminum then binds with three neighboring silicon atoms and takes one of their electrons to fill its shell, even though it already has three neighbors. This is because the crystal lattice of silicon binds each atom to four neighboring atoms.
Dual Op Amp
I have a question regarding diodes. Aluminum has 3 valence electrons, and normally bonds with 3 atoms in order to rid itself of the valence electrons, right? Okay, but when mixed in a matrix of silicon atoms, it doesn't have enough electrons to share with the silicon. This makes a hole. Okay, but according to my books, this hole is swapped between the silicon atoms. It says the aluminum binds with three neighboring silicon atoms, and then it says that it steals one from the silion, in order to fill it's shell, well it's already filled, 3 neighbors!
Help please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've answered my question by myself, but thanks anyway.

The crystal lattice of silicon makes each atom bound to 4 neighboring atoms. If you diffuse an Al atom in the crystal, it will associate with 4 adjacent Si atoms. Since it has only 3 electrons to share, there is a hole.

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a p-n junction, with a positive and negative layer, which creates a built-in potential that controls the flow of electrons. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode conducts electricity and when a voltage is applied in the reverse direction, it blocks the flow of current.

2. What are the uses of diodes in electronic circuits?

Diodes have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. Some common uses include rectification of AC to DC, protection against reverse polarity, voltage regulation, signal demodulation, and switching. They are also used in solar cells, LED lights, and in power supplies.

3. What is the difference between a diode and a rectifier?

A rectifier is a device that converts AC to DC, while a diode is a component that allows current to flow in only one direction. A rectifier circuit is made up of one or more diodes, along with other components, to convert the alternating current to direct current.

4. How do you test a diode?

There are several methods for testing a diode, including using a multimeter, a diode tester, or a simple circuit with a battery and resistor. The most common method is using a multimeter in diode mode, where you can check for continuity in one direction and infinite resistance in the other direction.

5. Can a diode be used as a switch?

Yes, diodes can be used as switches in electronic circuits. When a diode is connected in series with a load, it can be used to turn the load on and off by controlling the flow of current. This is commonly used in applications such as voltage regulators, overvoltage protection circuits, and in logic gates.