Fermat Numbers - Factor Form Proof

In summary, we have shown that if k \in \mathbb{N}, and q is a prime factor of F_{k}=2^{2^{k}}+1, then gcd(q-1,2^{k+1})=2^{k+1}.
TaliskerBA
Let [itex]k\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], and [itex]q[/itex] be a prime factor of [itex]F_{k}=2^{2^{k}}+1[/itex].

Deduce that gcd[itex](q-1,2^{k+1})=2^{k+1}[/itex].

[itex]q|F_{k}[/itex] [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] [itex] mq = 2^{2^{k}}+1[/itex] for some [itex]m\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]

[itex] 2^{2^{k}}=q-1+(m-1)q[/itex] [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] [itex] 2^{2^{k}}=q-1[/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex])

[itex]2^{k+1}|2^{2^{k}}[/itex] since [itex]k+1\leq 2^{k}, \forall k\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

So [itex]2^{2^{k}}=n2^{k+1}[/itex] for some [itex]n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

I think I'm missing something, so any nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Got there in the end. Here is the proof I used, I thought I'd post it as it was quite fun to prove in the end. I would also appreciate it if anyone can point out errors. Also, apologies for poor presentation I'm fairly new to Latex.

Since [itex]q | F_{k} = 2^{2^{k}} + 1[/itex] [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] [itex]2^{2^{k}}\equiv -1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex])

Noting that [itex]2^{2^{k}} - 1 = (2^{2^{k-1}} +1)(2^{2^{k-1}} - 1) = F_{k-1}(2^{2^{k-1}} - 1)[/itex] you can write [itex]F_{k}[/itex] as:

[itex]F_{k} = 2^{2^{k}} + 1 + (2 - 2) = 2^{2^{k}} - 1 + 2 = F_{k-1}(2^{2^{k-1}} - 1) + 2 = F_{k-1}F_{k-2}(2^{2^{k-2}} - 1) + 2 = F_{k-1}F_{k-2}...F_{2}F_{1} + 2 [/itex]

So for any [itex] l =1,2, ..., k-1 [/itex] we can write [itex]F_{k}[/itex] as:

[itex]F_{k} = F_{k-1}F_{k-2}F_{k-3}...(2^{2^{l-1}} - 1) + 2 [/itex].

Assume that for some [itex] l =1,2,...,k-1 [/itex] we have [itex] 2^{2^{l}}\equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]), then [itex](2^{2^{l-1}} - 1) = 0 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) and [itex]F_{k} - 2 = 0 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex] ) [itex] = F_{k} [/itex] since [itex]q | F_{k}[/itex]. So [itex] 2|q \Rightarrow q=2 [/itex], but [itex] F_{k} = 2^{2^{k}} + 1 [/itex] is odd, so we have a contradiction. Thus [itex] 2^{2^{l}} \not \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) [itex] \forall [/itex] [itex] l = 1,...,k [/itex] since also, already shown that [itex]2^{2^{k}}\equiv -1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex])

Now, since [itex]q[/itex] is prime, using Fermat's Little Theorem [itex] 2^{q-1} = 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) since [itex] q \not | [/itex] [itex] 2 [/itex].

Also,
[itex]F_{k+1} -2 = F_{k}F_{k-1}...F_{2}F_{1} = 0 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) since [itex] q | F_{k} [/itex]. So [itex] 2^{2^{k+1}} + 1 - 2 = 0 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) [itex] \Rightarrow 2^{2^{k+1}} = 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex])

Noting that [itex]x^a \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]m[/itex]) and [itex]x^b \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]m[/itex]) [itex] \Rightarrow x^{gcd(a,b)} \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]m[/itex]), we get the result:

[itex] 2^{gcd(q-1,2^{k+1})} \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex])

Now, since [itex]gcd(q-1,2^{k+1})[/itex] must be a divisor of [itex]2^{k+1}[/itex] it must be of the form [itex] 2^{l} [/itex] for some [itex] l=0,...,k+1 [/itex] , but it can't be any [itex] l = 1,...,k [/itex] since otherwise [itex] 2^{2^{l}}\equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) contradicting our earlier result. Also, it can't be [itex] 2^{l=0} = 1 [/itex] since otherwise [itex] 2^{gcd(q-1,2^{k+1})} = 2 \equiv 1 [/itex] (mod [itex]q[/itex]) [itex] \Rightarrow q = 1 [/itex] which is a contradiction, because [itex] q [/itex] is prime.

So, therefore, having exhausted all other possibilities, [itex] gcd(q-1,2^{k+1}) = 2^{k+1} [/itex], finishing the proof.

1. What are Fermat numbers?

Fermat numbers are a sequence of numbers of the form 2n+1, where n is a nonnegative integer. They are named after the mathematician Pierre de Fermat who first studied them.

2. What is the factor form proof for Fermat numbers?

The factor form proof for Fermat numbers states that all Fermat numbers greater than 3 can be written as the product of two numbers, both of which are greater than 1. This was proven by Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. How is the factor form proof useful?

The factor form proof for Fermat numbers is useful in number theory and cryptography. It helps in understanding the properties and patterns of Fermat numbers, and also in finding factors of large Fermat numbers which are useful in cryptography.

4. Are there any exceptions to the factor form proof?

Yes, there are exceptions to the factor form proof for Fermat numbers. The exceptions are the first five Fermat numbers: 3, 5, 17, 257, and 65537. These numbers are called "Fermat primes" and cannot be factored using the factor form proof.

5. Is the factor form proof the only proof for Fermat numbers?

No, there are other proofs for Fermat numbers. The factor form proof is just one of many proofs that have been discovered for Fermat numbers. Some other proofs include the Lucas-Lehmer test and the Frostman's theorem.