Trying to find a simpler way to calculate this function

• Thread starter SeventhSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a function P(n) that returns the largest number that divides P(n) for all n, and a function S(N) that calculates the sum of all possible outputs of P(n) for a given range of values. The speaker is looking for a more efficient way to calculate S(N) and has observed that P(n) often returns values of the form 2^i * 3^j. They suggest using more values for n to eliminate variables and approach the problem by viewing P(n) as a base 'n' number.
SeventhSigma
let P(n) = n^4 + an^3 + bn^2 + cn

M(a,b,c) returns largest m that divides P(n) for all n

then let function S(N) return the sum of all M(a,b,c) for 1 <= a,b,c <= N

I am trying to understand a simpler way to calculate S(N) so I don't have to actually process every single combination of a,b, and c but I am having trouble finding patterns to take advantage of on a broad scale.

So far I know from trying all sorts of values that M(a,b,c) tends to return values of form 2^i * 3^j where i,j>=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
If m divides P(n) for all n, it also divides all differences: m divides P(2)-P(1) = 15+7a+3b, for example.
Using more values for n, you can eliminate more variables. This could help to reduce testing.

P(n) can be looked at as a base 'n' number. This would make a,b,c digits and a max value for that part.

1. How do you determine the complexity of a function?

The complexity of a function is determined by the number of operations or steps it takes to complete, as well as the amount of memory it requires. This is typically denoted by the "big O" notation.

2. Is there a specific method for simplifying a function?

There is no one specific method for simplifying a function. It often requires breaking down the function into smaller, more manageable parts and finding patterns or similarities that can be exploited.

3. Can a function be simplified without sacrificing accuracy?

Yes, a function can be simplified without sacrificing accuracy. This can be achieved by finding alternative methods or algorithms that yield the same results with fewer steps or operations.

4. Are there any tools or software available for simplifying functions?

Yes, there are various tools and software available for simplifying functions. These include programming languages, mathematical software, and online calculators that can help with simplifying complex functions.

5. How do you know when a function is simplified enough?

The level of simplification for a function is subjective and depends on the specific needs and goals of the user. However, a simplified function should have fewer steps, operations, and variables, making it easier to understand and more efficient to compute.