Calculating Moles of Chlorine Ions in Nickel Chloride (NiCl2)

In summary, to calculate the amount of mole Chlorine ions in 13.4g of nickel chloride (NiCl2), you can use the equation (mass NiCl2)(1 mole NiCl2/grams NiCl2)(moles Cl/moles NiCl2). You can find the molar mass of NiCl2 from the periodic table and use it to convert from grams to moles. Then, use the molar ratio between Cl and NiCl2 to determine the moles of Cl. This method can also be used to calculate other quantities such as mass, molarity, etc. Always remember to use units as a guide in your calculations.
gordda
how do you work out the amount of mole Chlorine ions in 13.4g of nickel chloride(NiCl2). i don't know how to use the n=m/M with ions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gordda said:
how do you work out the amount of mole Chlorine ions in 13.4g of nickel chloride(NiCl2).

[tex](mass NiCl_2)(\frac{1 mole NiCl_2}{grams NiCl_2})(\frac{moles Cl}{moles NiCl2})[/tex]

put some values into the equation and everything should work out.
I really wish Latex understood what a space bar does.

ShawnD said:
put some values into the equation and everything should work out.
I really wish Latex understood what a space bar does.
[tex](mass \ NiCl_2)(\frac{1 \ mole \ NiCl_2}{grams \ NiCl_2})(\frac{moles \ Cl}{moles \ NiCl2})[/tex]

Try adding \ in between the words you want seperating.

Back to the question. Personally (maybe because my knowledge of equations is not as great as some) I would find the percentage of chlorine in the coumpound by using the molar mass of the coumpound and the two elements in it. Then I would find the mass of chlorine (using the percentage) and then find how many moles that was by dividing by the molar mass of chlorine.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Whenever it comes to calculating moles, mass, molarity etc. always use units as a guide. What you have now is 13.4g NiCl2, and how to convert from g to moles.

From the periodic table, you can calculate the molar mass of NiCl2 to get 1 mol / ?g NiCl2. Also, how many moles of Cl are there in 1 mol of NiCl2?

13.4g NiCl2 x 1mol NiCl2 / ?g NiCl2 x ?mol Cl / 1mol NiCl2 = no of mol Cl

Hope this helps! :smile:

What is the formula for calculating moles of chlorine ions in nickel chloride (NiCl2)?

The formula for calculating moles of chlorine ions in nickel chloride (NiCl2) is: number of moles of chlorine ions = number of moles of nickel chloride x 2.

What is the molar mass of nickel chloride (NiCl2)?

The molar mass of nickel chloride (NiCl2) is 129.6 g/mol. This includes the atomic mass of nickel (58.7 g/mol) and two times the atomic mass of chlorine (35.5 g/mol x 2 = 71 g/mol).

How do I convert grams of nickel chloride (NiCl2) to moles of chlorine ions?

To convert grams of nickel chloride (NiCl2) to moles of chlorine ions, you can use the molar mass of nickel chloride (129.6 g/mol) and the given mass of the compound. First, divide the given mass by the molar mass to find the number of moles of nickel chloride. Then, multiply that number by 2 to find the number of moles of chlorine ions.

How many chlorine ions are present in one mole of nickel chloride (NiCl2)?

There are 2 moles of chlorine ions in one mole of nickel chloride (NiCl2). This is because the chemical formula of nickel chloride (NiCl2) indicates that there are two moles of chlorine ions for every one mole of nickel chloride.

Can I use Avogadro's number to calculate the number of moles of chlorine ions in a given amount of nickel chloride (NiCl2)?

Yes, you can use Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to calculate the number of moles of chlorine ions in a given amount of nickel chloride (NiCl2). First, divide the given amount of nickel chloride (in grams) by the molar mass to find the number of moles of nickel chloride. Then, multiply that number by 2 and by Avogadro's number to find the number of chlorine ions present.