Mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of plotting a graph for the mass-radius relationship of white dwarf stars, taking into account the hydrostatic equilibrium and electron degeneracy pressure. The final result for the non-relativistic fermi gas is R=3.58*10^16 M^(-1/3), while for the relativistic fermi gas, the pressure comes out to be 4/3 and the radius cancels out, resulting in a limit of M(limit)=1.44 M(sun). The conversation also mentions a formula for the radius-mass relationship for the relativistic curve and clarifies the difference between the blue and red curves (which are only true at the edges of the plot) and the green
cooper607
hi guys, I have been doing a research on white dwarf stars and chanrashekhar limit. I need to plot a graph for the mass-radius relationship of the dwarfs. from the equalization of the hydrostatic equilibrium pressure and the electron degeneracy pressure I found out the radius -mass relationship for non relativistic fermi gas.

my final result is

R=3.58*10^16 M^(-1/3)

but when I take relativistic fermi gas, pressure comes in order of 4/3 and the radius cancels out leaving the equation to be
M(limit)=1.44 M(sun)

Now for this maximum limit how can I plot a graph for radius vs mass. which values should i input for different masses? please help me

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean plot a graph of radius vs mass for a limit? The limit is one value. It's a dot. What is the radius at this mass? If your final result is correct, you need only input this M(limit) into M.

But the relativistic fermi gas plot is different than the non relativistic, i want to know how do they get this graph?

Attachments

• ChandrasekharLimitGraph.svg.png
    ChandrasekharLimitGraph.svg.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 639
dear Chronos, I actually visited that page earlier, for relativistic fermi gas they derived the relation to be 1=M^(-1/3) , so radius actually cancels out from both sides. so how do they plot that graph where radius is zero when mass goes to 1.44? i didnt get any expression for the graph..can you tell me if there is any radius -mass relation for the relativistic curve ?

The "relativistic curve" must really mean the "completely correct curve that bridges between the nonrelativistic and relativistic limits." So those two limits are the easy calculations, because the kinetic energy per particle is either p2/2m, or is pc. That gives the the blue and red curves respectively, but those are only true at the edges of the plot. The green curve is the correct curve, which uses the fully correct expressions for the momentum flux that goes into pressure, and the kinetic energy density. In units where momentum is measured in mc units, those expressions are, the angle-averaged momentum flux that goes into the isotropic pressure is 1/3 (from the angle averaging) times p2/root(1+p2), and the kinetic energy is root(1+p2)-1. If you use those two expressions, you obtain the green curve, which is correct in all limits. So the confusion is about whether "relativistic" means "including relativistic corrections" versus "taking the ultrarelativistic limit." They mean the former with that green curve.

1. What is the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B?

The mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the mass and radius of this particular star. It is used to understand the physical characteristics of the star and is an important tool in studying its evolution.

2. How is the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B calculated?

The mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B is calculated using the principles of stellar structure and equations of state. Scientists use data on the star's luminosity, temperature, and composition to determine its mass and radius.

3. What is the significance of the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B?

The mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B is significant because it allows us to better understand the internal structure and composition of this star. It also helps us make predictions about its future evolution and the potential formation of other celestial objects.

4. How does the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B compare to other stars?

The mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B is unique to this particular star. While other stars may have their own mass radius relationships, they will differ based on the star's composition, age, and other factors. Studying these relationships can provide valuable insights into the diversity of stars in our universe.

5. Can the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B change over time?

Yes, the mass radius relationship for SIRIUS B can change over time as the star evolves and undergoes different stages. As the star's internal structure and composition change, so too will its mass radius relationship. This is why continuous observation and study of stars is necessary for a better understanding of their properties.