Computing Čech cohomology groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the example of ##S^1## defined as ##[0,1]/\sim## with ##0 \sim 1## and uses Čech cohomology to compute its cohomology groups. The cover ##\mathcal U## consisting of the sets ##U_0= (0, 2/3) \, , \, U_1= (1/3, 1) \, , \, U_2= (2/3, 1] \cup [0, 1/3)## is used, which is a finite, good, open cover. It is shown that ##\check C ^0 (\mathcal U,
Geometry_dude
I'm trying to understand Čech cohomology and for this I'm looking at the example of ##S^1## defined as ##[0,1]/\sim## with ##0 \sim 1##. To compute everything, I have the cover ##\mathcal U## consisting of the sets
$$U_0= (0, 2/3) \, , \, U_1= (1/3, 1) \, , \, U_2= (2/3, 1] \cup [0, 1/3)$$
Obviously, ##\mathcal U## is a finite, good, open cover.
Since
##\check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R^{\# \mathcal U}##
for any good, finite, open cover of a topological space, we have in our case
$$\check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R ^3 \, .$$
Taking intersections, we get the sets
$$U_{20}\equiv U_2 \cap U_0 = (0,1/3) \, ,\, U_{01}=(1/3, 2/3) \, ,\, U_{12}=(2/3,1) \, .$$
Again, we only need to count these and get ##\check C ^1 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R^{3}##. All these are disjoint and hence ##\check C ^2 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)= \mathbb \lbrace 0 \rbrace##.
Now we want to compute the Čech cohomology groups ##\check H ^k (S^1, \mathbb R)##, which are independent of the cover. We take the Čech differential
$$\delta_k \colon \check C^k( \mathcal U, \mathbb R ) \to \check C^{k+1}
( \mathcal U, \mathbb R ) $$
defined as usual and compute
$$\delta_0 f _{\alpha_0 \alpha_1} = f_{\alpha_1} - f_{\alpha_0}$$
for ##f \in \check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)## and
$$\delta_1 g _{\alpha_0 \alpha_1 \alpha_2} =g_{ \alpha_1 \alpha_2}
- g_{ \alpha_0 \alpha_2} +g_{ \alpha_0 \alpha_1} \, .$$
Since ##\check C ^2 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)= \mathbb \lbrace 0 \rbrace##, we have
$$\delta_1\bigl(\check C ^1 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)\bigr) = \lbrace 0 \rbrace
\quad \implies \quad \ker \delta_1 = \check C ^1 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R^3
$$
and since ##\check C ^{-1} (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) := \mathbb \lbrace 0 \rbrace## and ##\delta## is linear, we get
$$\delta_{-1}\bigl(\check C ^{-1} (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)\bigr)= \lbrace 0 \rbrace .$$
The latter is true in general. It follows that for a general topological space ##M## we get
$$\check H^0(M,\mathbb R) = \ker \delta_0$$
and by looking at the formula for ##\delta_0 f## to get ##\ker \delta_0## we observe that ##f## has to be constant on each connected component of ##M## and thus we have ##1## degree of freedom for each connected component, which implies
$$\check H^0(M,\mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R^{\# M} \, ,$$
where ##\# M## is the number of connected components of ##M##. Thus
$$\check H^0(S^1,\mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R \, .$$
Here comes my question: How do I compute the image of ##\delta_{0}## directly? Do I just take ##g= \delta f##, look at all the representatives and count degrees of freedom?
If I do that, I get
$$ \delta_0 \bigl(\check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R)\bigr) \simeq \mathbb R ^3 \, ,$$
which is wrong, since
$$\dim \ker \delta_0 + \dim \delta_0 \bigl( \check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \bigr)
= \dim \check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) = 3 \, .$$
As $$\dim \ker \delta_0 = 1$$ by the previous reasoning, we get
$$\dim \delta_0 \bigl( \check C ^0 (\mathcal U, \mathbb R) \bigr) = 2$$
and hence
$$\check H^1 \simeq \mathbb R^3 / \mathbb R ^2 \simeq \mathbb R \, .$$
Is that correct?
It is easy to see that all the higher cohomology groups have to vanish.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I think I understood my error now. We have
$$\delta_0 \colon \check C^0( \mathcal U, \mathbb R) \to \check C^1( \mathcal U, \mathbb R)$$
and
$$g_{20}= f_0 - f_2 \, , \, g_{01}= f_1 - f_0 \, , \, g_{12}= f_2 - f_1 \, .$$
It's a linear map, so we look at the matrix representation
$$\tilde \delta_0 \colon \mathbb R^3 \to \mathbb R^3$$
$$\tilde \delta_0 =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & -1 \\
-1 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 & 1
\end{pmatrix} \, ,
$$
whose determinant vanishes. The rank is two and thus everything is correct.
Thus
$$\check H^0 (S^1, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R ^ {\# S^1} = \mathbb R ^1 \quad , \quad
\check H^1 (S^1, \mathbb R) \simeq \mathbb R ^ {3} / \mathbb R^2 \simeq \mathbb R^1$$

What is Computing Čech cohomology?

Computing Čech cohomology is a mathematical process used to study the topological properties of spaces. It involves the analysis of cohomology groups, which are algebraic structures that describe the ways in which spaces can be connected.

How are Čech cohomology groups computed?

Čech cohomology groups are computed using the Čech cohomology complex, a sequence of maps between spaces that captures the topological information needed to compute the groups. This complex is then used to calculate the cohomology groups, which can reveal important geometric and topological properties of a space.

What is the significance of Computing Čech cohomology groups?

Computing Čech cohomology groups allows mathematicians to study the topological properties of spaces, such as connectivity and compactness. This information is useful in fields such as topology, algebraic geometry, and differential geometry, and can help in solving various mathematical problems.

What are some practical applications of Computing Čech cohomology groups?

Čech cohomology has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to study the topological properties of networks, materials, and other physical systems, and can also be applied in data analysis and machine learning.

Are there any challenges in Computing Čech cohomology groups?

Computing Čech cohomology groups can be a complex and computationally intensive process, especially for higher dimensional spaces. It also requires a deep understanding of algebraic topology and the use of advanced mathematical techniques. However, with the help of modern technology and computational tools, these challenges can be overcome.