Proof of rational density using Dedekind cuts

In summary, the problem is that my professor told me that y<x doesn't mean x^*<y^* immediately. However, if you use the opposite convention, then adjust my argument below appropriately.
loops496
The Problem

Let [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] be real numbers such that [itex]y<x[/itex], using the Dedekind cut construction of reals prove that there is always a rational [itex]q[/itex] such that [itex]y<q<x [/itex]

What I've done

Since I can associate a cut to every real number, let [itex]x^∗[/itex] be the cut associated to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y^∗[/itex] the one associated with [itex]y[/itex].
Since [itex]y<x \implies y^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] then [itex]\exists q \in \Bbb Q[/itex] such that [itex]q \in x^*[/itex] and [itex]q\not\in y^*[/itex]. Next I associate a cut [itex]q^∗[/itex] to [itex]q[/itex]. Now how can I deduce from there that [itex]q^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] and [itex]y^* \subsetneq q^*[/itex], thus proving [itex]y<q<x[/itex]

Any help will be appreciated,
M.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are simply asking if that is a valid proof, yes, it looks good to me.

Thank HallsofIvy for replying.
The thing is that my professor told me that its not immediate from what I previously wrote that [itex]q^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] and [itex]y^* \subsetneq q^*[/itex] so I can't conclude solely on my argument [itex] y<q<x[/itex]. But I can't see what I'm missing, I was hoping you guys would guide me towards finding that subtlety to complete the proof.

I'm assuming that in your definition of Dedekind cut, if ##q## is rational then ##q## is NOT an element of ##q^*## but rather is the smallest element of ##\mathbb{Q}\setminus q^*##. If you use the opposite convention, then adjust my argument below appropriately.

If ##x## and ##y## are irrational, then your proof is fine.

If ##x## and ##y## are rational, then you can simply choose ##q = (x+y)/2##.

If ##y## is irrational and ##x## is rational, then your proof is fine: ##q## cannot be ##x## because you chose ##q \in x^*## whereas ##x \not\in x^*##.

Finally, if ##y## is rational and ##x## is irrational, then your proof does not exclude the possibility that ##q=y##. In other words, ##q## might be the smallest element of ##x^* \setminus y^*##. But if this is the case, note that ##x^*## does not have a largest element, so you can simply replace ##q## with a larger rational in ##x^*##.

Likes 1 person
Let the real numbers x and y be represented by cuts [itex](X_1,X_2)[/itex] and [itex](Y_1,Y_2)[/itex], where a cut [itex](A,B)[/itex] is a partition of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that any element of A is less than any element of B, and A has no greatest element. To say that [itex]y < x[/itex], is to say that [itex]Y_1 \subset X_1[/itex] by the ordering of cuts. Since this is a proper subset, we may find a rational [itex]p \in X_1 - Y_1[/itex]. But since [itex]X_1[/itex] has no greatest element, we may find another rational [itex]q \in X_1-Y_1[/itex] such that [itex]q>p[/itex]. It is easily seen that its cut [itex](Q_1,Q_2)[/itex] is such that [itex]Y_1 \subset Q_1 \subset X_1[/itex], because if we let the cut [itex](P_1,P_2)[/itex] represent p, we have the following: [itex]Y_1 \subseteq P_1 \subset Q_1 \subset X_1[/itex], where the last inclusion is true because q cannot be the greatest element of [itex]X_1[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the replies and the help guys, it was very helpful.

1. What is "Proof of rational density using Dedekind cuts"?

"Proof of rational density using Dedekind cuts" is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the density of rational numbers on the real number line using Dedekind cuts. It shows that between any two rational numbers, there exists an infinite number of other rational numbers.

2. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical explanation for the density of rational numbers on the real number line. It also helps to understand the concept of Dedekind cuts, which are used in many other areas of mathematics.

3. Can you explain Dedekind cuts in simpler terms?

Dedekind cuts are a method used to define real numbers in terms of rational numbers. It involves dividing the set of rational numbers into two non-empty subsets, where one subset contains all the rational numbers less than a certain real number and the other subset contains all the rational numbers greater than that same real number.

4. How is this proof different from other proofs of rational density?

This proof is different from other proofs of rational density because it uses Dedekind cuts, which is a different approach compared to other methods such as using decimal expansions or continued fractions. It also provides a more formal and rigorous proof compared to other more intuitive proofs.

5. Are there any practical applications of this proof?

While this proof may not have direct practical applications, it is an important concept in understanding the structure of real numbers and is used in various fields of mathematics such as analysis and topology. It also serves as a foundation for other mathematical proofs and theories.