University project for astrophysics

In summary, the conversation discusses a second year applied physics student looking for ideas for a research project that involves astronomy, engineering, and mathematics. The student rejects the idea of using a powerful emitter to observe Jupiter's radio emissions, and instead suggests using homemade equipment for passive observation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a radio telescope or an optical telescope for the project.
tinyman
Hello guys,

I really hope I came to the right section, since technically my topic involves not only astronomy, but also engineering, maths and so on. But anyway, let's get to the point.
So we have to come up with some kind of a research(I'm second year applied physics student) which will be evaluated and will be a part of our final mark. I thought that it would be more interesting to do some real measurements instead of fully theoretical calculations, so here is my idea:

Would it be possible to use homemade equipment to do some passive observation? For example, to observe Jupiters radio emissions and at least turn it into a sound(or any other kind of form that I could present to the professor) maybe? I already rejected the idea of emitting a radio signal into something and registering the reflection, because I think it would require to have a really powerful emitter and it would not be enough to have the one I could build at home.

Thanks for all the ideas :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of a university project for astrophysics?

The purpose of a university project for astrophysics is to allow students to gain hands-on experience and apply theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios in the field of astrophysics. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills.

2. Can I participate in a university project for astrophysics even if I am not majoring in astrophysics?

Yes, most university projects for astrophysics are open to students from various disciplines. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of astrophysics principles and concepts to fully participate in the project.

3. What type of projects are typically included in a university project for astrophysics?

University projects for astrophysics can vary greatly, but some common types include data analysis of astronomical observations, building and testing scientific instruments, and conducting simulations or experiments related to astrophysics theories.

4. Do I need any prior experience in astrophysics to participate in a university project?

No, prior experience in astrophysics is not always necessary, but it may be helpful. Most university projects for astrophysics provide training and guidance to students, so having a strong interest in the subject and a willingness to learn is more important.

5. How long do university projects for astrophysics typically last?

The duration of a university project for astrophysics can vary depending on the specific project and the level of involvement. Some projects may last for a semester, while others may span over multiple semesters or even an entire academic year.