Analyzing Analytic Functions: Solving a Complex Analysis Conundrum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an analytic function on a disc and its relation to prime numbers. The conversation also mentions the principle of analytic continuation and the twin prime conjecture. The problem turns out to be a joke in a qualifying exam.
Jorriss
I came across an interesting problem that I have made no progress on.

Let f be an analytic function on the disc ##D = \{z \in C ~|~ |z| < 1\}## satisfying ##f(0) = 1##. Is the following
statement true or false? If ##f(a) = f^\prime(a) ## whenever ##\frac{1+a}{a}## and ##\frac{1-a}{a}## are prime numbers then ##f(z) = e^z## for all ## z \in D##.

Obviously I know that ##f(z) = e^z## solves ##f^\prime = f##, but I don't see how to use that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i guess you want to show your function also satisfies f-f' = 0. since f is analytic, it suffices to show it satisfies this equation on an infinite set with a limit point in the open disc. do you know the principle of analytic continuation?

mathwonk said:
i guess you want to show your function also satisfies f-f' = 0. since f is analytic, it suffices to show it satisfies this equation on an infinite set with a limit point in the open disc. do you know the principle of analytic continuation?

And notice the a here are all on the Real line.

Are you sure this is a serious problem? It looks to be equivalent to the twin prime conjecture.

Note that if [itex] \frac{1+a}{a}=p [/itex], then [itex] a=\frac{1}{p-1} [/itex], which is inside your domain for all odd primes [itex] p [/itex]. [itex] f [/itex] will necessarily be the exponential iff there are infinitely many such values of a (so that they will have a limit point in the domain. We don't need to worry about the limit point being on the boundary [itex] |z|=1 [/itex] since [itex] a [/itex] decreases as [itex] p [/itex] increases), but [itex] \frac{1+a}{a} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{1-a}{a} [/itex] are twin primes so your statement is equivalent to the twin prime conjecture.

HS-Scientist said:
Are you sure this is a serious problem? It looks to be equivalent to the twin prime conjecture.
As it would turn out, no it wasn't. It was the first problem in a joke qualifying exam. The other problems made it far more obvious that it was not serious. Anyhow, thanks for your insight into the joke I suppose!

Kind of embarrassed at how I missed that. I guess I should read problems more carefully before trying to solve them.

What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions. It focuses on understanding the properties and behavior of functions that operate on the complex plane.

What are the applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to solve problems involving electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and many more.

What are the basic concepts in Complex Analysis?

Some of the basic concepts in Complex Analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of functions on the complex plane.

What are some common techniques used to solve Complex Analysis problems?

Some common techniques used to solve Complex Analysis problems include Cauchy's Integral Theorem, Cauchy's Residue Theorem, and the method of Laurent series. These techniques allow for the evaluation of complex integrals and the determination of singularities of functions.

What are some real-world examples of Complex Analysis problems?

Real-world examples of Complex Analysis problems include calculating the flow of a fluid around an obstacle, determining the stability of an electrical circuit, and finding the maximum and minimum values of a complex function. These problems are often solved using techniques from Complex Analysis to model and analyze real-world phenomena.