Questions about my stratosphere photos

• Thread starter avidemux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photos
In summary, the conversation is discussing two images taken with the same camera and settings at high altitudes in the stratosphere. The first image shows a black sky while the rest show a gradual fade to dark blue. The group discusses possible reasons for the difference, such as the angle of the sun and the thickness of the atmosphere. They also mention lens flare and the design of the lens as potential factors.
avidemux
Hi all.

OK so these were shot with the same camera with same settings. Both are supposedly at 28 km altitude in the stratosphere. Why does in the first image (NOT MINE) the sky appear pitch black while on the rest it is slowly fades to dark blue?

Any chance when the sun is in the horizon (evening time) the sky doesn't fade to black as much when looking from the stratosphere? That's the only thing I can think which is different between the first image and the last two.
Or do you think my own payload didn't reach even >15 km altitude?

http://i.imgur.com/X4XHwoC.png
AUz66It.jpg

O5u5VkL.png

4y6Vv3T.png

more info about how these were shot: habhub.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
lens flare from the sun being in the frame will lighten black areas, a similar effect to "light fogging" photographic film.

Also increasing the contrast can darken the sky ...

Attachments

• increasing contrast blackens sky.jpg
    increasing contrast blackens sky.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
B0b-A said:
lens flare from the sun being in the frame will lighten black areas
Thanks. But isn't there lens flare also in the first image where the sky is black?

my semi-educated assumption would be because you are fading down from the black of space to the blue of the atmosphere
Looking straight out at a high angle, the atmosphere ,what's left of it will be VERY thin.
But looking horizontally along the line of the curvature, you are looking through a much thicker layer of atmosphere and hence you can detect it easier Dave

avidemux said:
Thanks. But isn't there lens flare also in the first image where the sky is black?
There is flare on the right-hand-side of the Santa picture. Whether or not that flare extended across the entire frame would be dependent on the design [and cost] of the lens , (e.g. how many anti-reflective coatings the optics had).

I just occurred to me you may not be comparing like with like : If the Santa lens had a wider angle of view than your lens that could explain why more of the "sky" is black in the Santa picture. At the same altitude a wider angle-of-view sees further out into black space.

Last edited:
We both used the same cameras with the same lens (GoPro Hero 3)

I still go with what I suggested rather than anything to do with lens flare as being the significant reason :smile:

Dave

What is the stratosphere?

The stratosphere is a layer of Earth's atmosphere that extends from about 12 to 50 kilometers above the surface. It is characterized by a stable temperature and the presence of the ozone layer, which protects us from harmful ultraviolet radiation.

How do you take photos of the stratosphere?

Photos of the stratosphere are typically taken using high-altitude balloons or aircraft equipped with specialized cameras. These vehicles are able to reach the stratosphere and capture images of the Earth's surface from above.

Why do photos of the stratosphere look different from ground-level photos?

The stratosphere has a different atmospheric composition and temperature compared to the lower layers of the atmosphere, which can affect the appearance of photos taken from this altitude. Additionally, the curvature of the Earth and the angle of the camera can also contribute to the differences in appearance.

What can we learn from photos of the stratosphere?

Photos of the stratosphere can provide valuable information about the Earth's atmosphere, such as the presence of pollutants or changes in the ozone layer. They can also help scientists study weather patterns and monitor the effects of climate change.

How do stratosphere photos relate to space exploration?

The stratosphere is the closest layer of the atmosphere to outer space, so photos taken from this altitude can give us a glimpse of what the Earth looks like from space. These photos can also be used to study the upper atmosphere, which is important for understanding the conditions and challenges of space travel.