Proof that [0,1] is compact (not using Heine Borel). Proof check

In summary, the author is trying to prove that [0,1] is a compact subset in R with the standard Euclidean topology. He is having difficulty wording the last part of the proof, and is asking for help.
fleazo
I would like to prove [0,1], as a subset of R with the standard Euclidean topology, is compact. I do not want to use Heine Borel. I was wondering if someone could check what I've done so far. I'm having trouble wording the last part of the proof.

Claim: Let [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] have the usual Euclidean topology T. Then [0,1] is a compact subset in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Proof:

Denote the set Sm as all [itex]m \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]m < 1[/itex] and the set [0,m] can be covered by a finite number of open sets in T.

We first show that [itex]S_{m} \neq \emptyset[/itex], and has an upper bound.

To show that [itex]S_{m}[/itex] is non-empty, note that 0 [itex]\in S_{m}[/itex]. This can be shown by noting that if m = 0, then the corresponding set is [0,0], which is just the singleton element [itex]\{0\}[/itex]. To find a finite covering of [itex]\{0\}[/itex] in T, select any [itex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Then [itex](-\epsilon,\epsilon)[/itex] in a basis element in T, and it contains the singleton element 0. This shows that the set [0,0] can be covered by a finite number of open sets from T, [itex]\Rightarrow 0 \in S_{m}[/itex]. Also, by assumption, we know that [itex]\leq 1 \Rightarrow[/itex] has an upper bound. By the completeness property of [itex]\mathbb{R} S_{m}[/itex] must have a least upper bound. Let's denote this as [itex]m_{u}[/itex].

As a next step, I'll assume that [itex]m_{u} < 1[/itex], and arrive at a contradiction. This will then prove that [itex]m_{u} = 1 \Rightarrow 1 \in S_{m} \Rightarrow [0,1][/itex], by definition of [itex]S_{m}[/itex] can be covered by a finite number of open sets in T. (Since the definition of compactness is that any open cover of a set has a finite subcover, this will be sufficient to show that [0,1] is compact)

So, assume that [itex]m_{u} < 1[/itex]. Since [itex]m_{u} \in S_{m} \Rightarrow [0,m_{u}][/itex] can be covered by a finite number of open sets in T. Let [itex]O_{a}[/itex] be the union of all such open sets. By topology axioms, we know that [itex]O_{a}[/itex] is an open set itself. **This is where I am having trouble wording things.** My goal now is to essentially say that, since [itex]m_{u} \in O_{a}[/itex] and T is the Euclidean topology, I can find some [itex] \delta[/itex] where [itex] \delta < |1-m_{u}|[/itex] s.t. [itex]m_{u} + \delta \in O_{a}[/itex]. This would then mean that [itex][0,m_{u}+\delta][/itex] is covered by [itex]O_{a}[/itex] as well, and since [itex]m_{u}+\delta < 1 \Rightarrow m_{u}+\delta \in S_{m} \Rightarrow m_{u} [/itex] can't be the least upper bound, which would be my contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me there are a couple problems with this proof even before getting to the part you are having trouble phrasing. Since this is a standard proof you can find in any intro analysis textbook, it seems you want to come up with a proof on your own so I won't tell you exactly how to fix things, just which things need to be fixed.

First, it is certainly not enough to prove that a set can be covered by finitely many open sets to prove it is compact. For example, (0,1) can of course be covered by the open sets (-1,1/2) and (1/3, 2) however it is not compact. You have to start with an arbitrary open cover and prove this cover has a finite subcover. To fix this in your proof just start with an arbitrary open cover [itex] \mathcal{C} [/itex] from the outset and slightly redefine [itex] S_m [/itex] using this open cover.

Further, you assume a couple times in your proof that the least upper bound [itex] m_u[/itex] of the set [itex] S_m [/itex] is in [itex] S_m [/itex]. This needs to be proven since in general a least upper bound of a set need not be in the set. In fact, this is a rather crucial way in which your proof does not work since by your definitions, [itex] 1\not\in S_m [/itex] so if you prove [itex] 1= m_u [/itex] then you also prove that [itex] m_u\not\in S_m [/itex]. To fix this you need to slightly redefine [itex] S_m [/itex] again and then give a proof that [itex] m_u\in S_m [/itex].

Finally if you want a precise way to find the [itex] \delta [/itex] you are looking for at the end of your proof, just write down what a basis element containing the point [itex] m_u <1[/itex] would look like. Since an open set contains a basis element around every point in the set, it should be clear from this how to find a [itex] \delta [/itex] that works from the basis element.

Likes 1 person
fleazo said:
I would like to prove [0,1], as a subset of R with the standard Euclidean topology, is compact. I do not want to use Heine Borel. I was wondering if someone could check what I've done so far. I'm having trouble wording the last part of the proof.

Claim: Let [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] have the usual Euclidean topology T. Then [0,1] is a compact subset in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Proof:

Denote the set Sm as all [itex]m \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]m < 1[/itex] and the set [0,m] can be covered by a finite number of open sets in T.

This is not the set you need. Indeed, for every [itex]m \in (-\infty, 1)[/itex] the set [itex][0,m][/itex] can be covered by just a single open set (the empty set if [itex]m < 0[/itex] and [itex](-1,2)[/itex] if [itex]m \in [0,1)[/itex]).

As an aside, if you call a set [itex]S_m[/itex] then you should not be using [itex]m[/itex] to denote an arbitrary element of that set, since the expectation is that [itex]m[/itex] will appear as a variable in some condition which arbitrary members of [itex]S_m[/itex] must satisfy, for example [itex]\{ x \in \mathbb{R} : x < m^2 + 5m + 3\}[/itex] or [itex]\{ mz : z \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex].

A set is compact if and only if every open cover admits a finite subcover. Therefore let [itex]\mathcal{U}[/itex] be an arbitrary open cover of [itex][0,1][/itex], and let [tex]S = \{ x \in [0,1] : [0,x]\mbox{ is covered by a finite subcollection of $\mathcal{U}$}\}.[/tex] Note that if [itex]x \in S[/itex] then [itex][0,x] \subset S[/itex]. Your aim is to show that [itex]\sup S = 1[/itex].

1. What is the definition of compactness in mathematics?

In mathematics, compactness is a property of a set that describes its ability to be covered by a finite number of smaller sets. More specifically, if every open cover of a set has a finite subcover, then the set is said to be compact.

2. How is compactness related to the interval [0,1]?

The interval [0,1] is considered a compact set because it satisfies the definition of compactness. Any open cover of [0,1] can be reduced to a finite subcover, making it a compact set.

3. Can you provide an example of an open cover for [0,1] that has a finite subcover?

Yes, a simple example of an open cover of [0,1] is the set of open intervals (0,1/n), where n is a positive integer. This open cover can be reduced to a finite subcover by choosing any n that is greater than the number of open intervals in the cover.

4. Is the compactness of [0,1] a general property of all intervals?

No, the compactness of [0,1] is a specific property of this particular interval. Other intervals may or may not be compact, depending on their properties and the chosen open cover.

5. Why is it important to prove that [0,1] is compact?

Proving that [0,1] is compact is important because it has many applications in mathematics. For example, it is a crucial step in proving the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a set in Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. Compact sets also have important properties in analysis, topology, and other branches of mathematics.