What Does Derivation Mean in a General Relativity Context?

• Thread starter bmb2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the student is seeking clarification on how to approach a problem in their general relativity course regarding deriving the change in a vector under parallel transport. Their professor has referenced a specific equation in their lecture notes, but the student is unsure if this equation is the actual derivation or if they are expected to fill in missing steps. Attempts to clarify with the professor have been unsuccessful.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

This seems like a simple question but I've never asked it and I'm stuck haha
For my general relativity course we are asked to derive the change in a vector under parallel transport. My professor references his lecture notes on his course web page in the statement of the problem...he says "In the notes, derive all the steps in eq. 1.8"

But in the lecture notes the equation 1.8 seems to be the derivation itself. I.e. he has several steps of tensor analysis and arrives at the conclusion and says the final answer, that a vector does not change under parallel transport. This is what I would have considered a derivation.

Do you think he wants to re-write the steps already laid out for us and maybe write some side comments to show we understand what's going on in each step? Or is a derivation something else entirely?

and yes I did try to ask him about this but no luck on an email response. thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there lots of steps missing in the notes? Maybe he just wants you to fill in all the gaps needed to get to this eq. 1.8. Usually lecture notes only have really brief and sketchy ("hand-waving") derivations of things, so he probably just wants you to do it more thoroughly.

kurros said:
Are there lots of steps missing in the notes? Maybe he just wants you to fill in all the gaps needed to get to this eq. 1.8.

That's what I thought... but the equalities and substitutions to derive further results are very well laid out and "easy" to follow. (easy meaning comprehensive)

Well, then I'm out of ideas :p.

A derivation is a mathematical process of deriving or obtaining a result or equation from known principles or assumptions. In this context, deriving the change in a vector under parallel transport means using the principles and equations of general relativity to mathematically show how the vector changes when transported along a curved path in spacetime. This involves manipulating tensors and equations to arrive at the final result. It is possible that your professor wants you to go through the steps and fully understand each step of the derivation, rather than just looking at the final result. This will help you understand the underlying principles and assumptions that lead to the result. It is also possible that your professor wants you to show your understanding by re-writing the steps and adding side comments. In any case, a derivation is a rigorous mathematical process that involves using known principles and equations to obtain a result.

1. What is a derivation?

A derivation is a process of systematically deriving or obtaining a result or conclusion from a set of given assumptions or premises.

2. Why is derivation important in science?

Derivation is important in science because it allows scientists to logically and systematically explain and understand natural phenomena and make predictions about future observations.

3. How is derivation different from experimentation?

Derivation is different from experimentation in that it involves using logical reasoning and mathematical equations to arrive at a conclusion, while experimentation involves conducting experiments and gathering data.

4. Can anyone perform a derivation?

In theory, anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and logical reasoning can perform a derivation. However, in practice, it requires a certain level of expertise and knowledge in a particular field of science.

5. What are some common applications of derivation in science?

Derivation is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics, to explain natural phenomena and make predictions about future observations. It is also used in the development of scientific theories and models.