Michelangelo Paint: Find Info Here!

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, Ross King discusses the specific paints that Michelangelo used for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and how he obtained them. He also discusses the methods of fresco painting.
Mk
Can someone help me find information about Michelangelo's paint? I know this is a kind of a weird topic but thanks you VERY much. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
They actually went into detail about this in the book I just read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling.

He special ordered specific colors from specific places, and was very picky about it.

The book is by Ross King, and was published in 2003. If you can get hold of a copy, just look the word pigment up in the index. It is mentioned on roughly 20 separate pages, and exactly where and how he got specific colors is explained in detail.

Since the ceiling was a fresco his pigments were merely mixed with water.

The method of fresco ia also discussed in detail in many places in the book.

Yes, this is precisely the kind of thing I am looking for, not just his paints, but the paints for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, how accessible on a worldwide scale they were, and what was in them.

But where can I find this... I can view up to 5000 words through Amazon.com's "Search Inside" features.

Mk said:
Yes, this is precisely the kind of thing I am looking for, not just his paints, but the paints for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, how accessible on a worldwide scale they were, and what was in them.

But where can I find this... I can view up to 5000 words through Amazon.com's "Search Inside" features.
The book, as I said, is called Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling, published in 2003, by Ross King.
Publisher: Penguin Books. You want to access several pages of a chapter called True Colors, which go from page 123-128. Hope that helps.

You can search for page numbers, BTW.

1. Who was Michelangelo and why is he famous?

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, commonly known as Michelangelo, was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet of the High Renaissance period. He is famous for creating some of the most renowned works of art in history, including the Sistine Chapel ceiling, the sculpture of David, and the Pietà.

2. What is the significance of Michelangelo's painting style?

Michelangelo's painting style was known for its realism, emotion, and drama. He used strong, muscular figures and intense expressions to convey a sense of movement and grandeur in his works. His mastery of light and shadow, as well as his use of perspective, also set him apart from other artists of his time.

3. How did Michelangelo create his famous frescoes?

Michelangelo's frescoes, or paintings on wet plaster, were created by first preparing the wall with several layers of plaster. Then, he would sketch his design onto the wet plaster and paint directly onto it before it dried. This technique allowed for vibrant colors and a long-lasting finish.

4. What are some of the key themes in Michelangelo's paintings?

Michelangelo's paintings often explored themes of religion, human emotion, and the human body. His works also often depicted scenes from the Bible, with a focus on the life and suffering of Jesus Christ. He also incorporated allegories and symbols in his paintings to convey deeper meanings.

5. How did Michelangelo's paintings influence future artists?

Michelangelo's paintings had a significant impact on the art world and influenced many future artists. His use of realism, dramatic poses, and emotional expressions inspired other artists to push the boundaries of art and explore new techniques. His works also continue to be studied and admired by artists and art enthusiasts around the world.