Understanding Toilet Flushing: The Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere Mystery

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
In summary, toilets in the Northern Hemisphere flush clockwise and toilets in the Southern Hemisphere flush counter clockwise due to the Coriolis effect caused by differences in rotation speeds between points north and south. However, this effect is very small and undetectable on the scale of toilets. The direction of flush is also determined by how the toilet is built, rather than by physical principles.
Line
I wouldn't think the hmisphere you're in would make that much of a difference in the flushing of your toilet. I don't under stand why the toilet flushes clockwise in The Northern Hemisphere and counter clockwise in The Southern.

Gravity and rotation velocities are the same. Just what is it that makes it spin one way or the opposite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Line said:
I wouldn't think the hmisphere you're in would make that much of a difference in the flushing of your toilet.
It doesn't.
I don't under stand why the toilet flushes clockwise in The Northern Hemisphere and counter clockwise in The Southern.
If toilets flush differently in the Southern hemisphere, it's because they are made differently.

Gravity and rotation velocities are the same. Just what is it that makes it spin one way or the opposite?
Actually, things are not quite the same. Above the equator, points north rotate slower than points south--leading to counter-clockwise rotation of large vortices (like hurricanes) in the Northern hemisphere; below the equator, just the opposite. This is the coriolis effect. But on the scale of toilets, the effect is extremely small and undetectable without extreme measures.

You may enjoy reading this: http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

But I love the title! "Why does the Toilet?" I'll ponder that forever!

The Northern Hemishpere rotates slower...how?

Line said:
The Northern Hemishpere rotates slower...how?
Let me be clearer: The Northern Hemisphere doesn't rotate slower, but in the Northern Hemisphere, points north move slower than points south.

All points have the same angular speed, of course. But the linear speed depends on your distance from the axis of rotation: the further away from the axis, the faster. In the Northern Hemisphere, points north move slower than points south since they are closer to the axis.

Damn simpsons and their propoganda!

In my physics class we learned why, but that was 2 years ago and I forgot now. Good luck on finding this one out.

azneternity said:
In my physics class we learned why, but that was 2 years ago and I forgot now. Good luck on finding this one out.

It's how the manufactorer builds the toilet. The physical principle your thinking about doesn't work on small scales.

1. Why do toilets flush differently in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

The Coriolis Effect, which is caused by the rotation of the Earth, is often cited as the reason for the difference in toilet flushing between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. However, the effect is too weak to have any significant impact on the direction of toilet flush.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that toilets flush differently in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

While there have been studies on the Coriolis Effect and its impact on large-scale weather patterns, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that it has any significant effect on the direction of toilet flushing. In fact, most scientists agree that the shape and design of the toilet, as well as the direction of the water jets, have a much larger impact on the direction of flushing.

3. Do toilets actually flush in a different direction in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

No, toilets do not actually flush in a different direction in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. The direction of flushing is determined by the design and mechanics of the toilet, rather than the location on the Earth.

4. Are there any other factors that could contribute to the perceived difference in toilet flushing between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

Yes, there are other factors that could contribute to the perceived difference in toilet flushing. For example, the direction of the water jets in different toilets, as well as the location of the flush handle, can impact the direction of flushing. Additionally, the shape and size of the toilet bowl can also play a role in the direction of flushing.

5. Can the direction of toilet flushing be controlled or changed?

Yes, the direction of toilet flushing can be controlled and changed. Most modern toilets allow for the direction of flushing to be adjusted by changing the direction of the water jets, as well as the placement of the flush handle. However, the impact of these changes may be negligible and may not result in a significant difference in the direction of flushing.