What is the most reactive metal and ion based on reduction potentials?

• Thread starter jaymie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidizing
In summary, the conversation discusses the reactions of different substances with various solutions and dilute sulfuric acid. From the given observations, we can arrange the five reduction half-cell reactions in order from highest to lowest reduction potential as C, A, H2, D, B. This means that C is the strongest oxidizing agent, while B is the best reducing agent. The order of the reactions is determined by the substances' tendency to gain or lose electrons.
jaymie
Hi. I have this problem I've been trying for a week and i still can't figure it out:

1. A reacts spontaneously with 1 mol/l BNO3, 1 mol/L D(N03)2 and dilute sulfuric acid. A does not react with 1 mol/L C(N03)2.
2. B does not react spontaneously with any of the the 1 mol/L solutions aove or with dilute sulfuric acid.
3. C reacts spontaneously with dilute sulfuric acid and with 1 mol/L solutions of all the other metallic salts.
4. D reacts spontaneously with 1 mol?L BN03. It does not react with dilute sulfuric acid.

a) Use these observations and arrange the following five reduction half-cell reactions in order, the one with the largest positive reduction potential listed first.

A(2+) + 2e- -> A(s)
B(+) + e- -> B(s)
C(2+) + 2e- -> C(s)
D(2+) + 2e- -> D(s)
2H(+) + 2e- -> H2(g)

b) Which metal is the best reducing agent?

c) Which ion is the best oxidizing agent?

Ok so i do know that Hydrogen will be zero, but i don't know how the reactivity relates to the reduction potentials? I am so lost for this question! Any ideas would be really appreciated:)

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice if u can post your opinion or answer for this question...

a) Use these observations and arrange the following five reduction half-cell reactions in order, the one with the largest positive reduction potential listed first.

A(2+) + 2e- -> A(s)
B(+) + e- -> B(s)
C(2+) + 2e- -> C(s)
D(2+) + 2e- -> D(s)
2H(+) + 2e- -> H2(g)

b) Which metal is the best reducing agent?

c) Which ion is the best oxidizing agent?

i'm stuck on this and i really would appreciate it if anyone can help me out.. please and thank you

Apparently, I'm not the only one having trouble with this question.

Here is my take on it.

B does not react with any of the others so it is the strongest reducing agent (loses electrons)
A is above B, D and H2 but not C.
C reacts with everything so it is the weakest reduction agent (strongest oxidating agent).
D is above B but not H2

Largest positive reduction potential means that it has a higher tendency to gain electrons from new species (ie. oxidize them).

Therefore, the order is: C, A, H2, D, B

B is the best reducing agent

C is the best oxidizing agent

I am just kind of feeling my way through this question. Can someone please confirm whether I am correct or have it backwards? Thank you

Last edited:
stuck on the same problem but i got

a) bdca
b)a
c) b

is this right?

can anyone help me

thanks

Explain how you arrived at your solution.

What is the definition of a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that donates electrons to another substance in a chemical reaction. This causes the other substance to be reduced, or gain electrons, while the reducing agent itself is oxidized.

What is an example of a reducing agent?

An example of a reducing agent is sodium borohydride (NaBH4). It is often used in organic chemistry reactions to reduce aldehydes and ketones to alcohols.

What is the definition of an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that accepts electrons from another substance in a chemical reaction. This causes the other substance to be oxidized, or lose electrons, while the oxidizing agent itself is reduced.

What is an example of an oxidizing agent?

An example of an oxidizing agent is potassium permanganate (KMnO4). It is often used as an oxidizing agent in redox reactions, such as the oxidation of alcohols to aldehydes or ketones.

How do reducing and oxidizing agents relate to each other?

Reducing and oxidizing agents are opposite in nature and work together in redox reactions. A reducing agent donates electrons to an oxidizing agent, causing it to be reduced. In turn, the oxidizing agent accepts the electrons and becomes reduced itself.

Back