Have you noticed deliberate microexpressions in TV personalities?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of microexpressions by TV personalities to direct attention, communicate emotion, or invite intimacy. These gestures are not necessarily negative and have a long history in Greek culture. The conversation also references the use of body gesturing as a communication and investigative skill in various fields.
Loren Booda
I have noticed TV personalities affecting what I assume would otherwise be microexpressions. These gestures seem consciously used to direct attention, communicate emotion (like an "applause" sign) or invite intimacy.

Not all actors, politicians or newscasters use these exaggerations, and such "microexpressions" are not necessarily negative in character. Indeed, I am curious as to whether others have noticed similar, purposeful facial language which is usually subliminal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
I have noticed TV personalities affecting what I assume would otherwise be microexpressions. These gestures seem consciously used to direct attention, communicate emotion (like an "applause" sign) or invite intimacy.

Not all actors, politicians or newscasters use these exaggerations, and such "microexpressions" are not necessarily negative in character. Indeed, I am curious as to whether others have noticed similar, purposeful facial language which is usually subliminal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Austin

Using gestures and facial expressions to influence audiences is an old art, extensively cultivated by the Greeks. These references to chironomia will answer many of your questions. In his chapter on the countenance alone, Gilbert collects observations from Cicero, Demosthenes, Aristotle, Pliny and others on the expression of the eyes, eyebrows, forehead, cheeks and mouth. But the study of gesture is most extensive and thorough. I'm fortunate to have a copy of the book.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Thanks for the references, Dotini.

Exaggerated microexpressions, as suggested by one of the articles, originated as masks or makeup, like those in Greek theater.

There are applications of body gesturing as a communications and investigative skill in the fields of mediation and interest based negotiation. But gesturing, related to active listening, in these areas is generally used more as an exploratory tool rather than one used to coerce or influence another.

I have not conducted any specific research on this topic, but I am aware of the concept of microexpressions and their potential impact on communication. It is possible that some TV personalities may consciously use exaggerated facial expressions to convey certain emotions or to engage with their audience. However, it is also important to consider that microexpressions can be unintentional and may be influenced by a person's natural facial expressions and emotions. Further research would be needed to determine the extent to which deliberate microexpressions are used by TV personalities and their impact on communication.

1. What are affected microexpressions?

Affected microexpressions are brief, involuntary facial movements that can reveal a person's true emotions, even if they are trying to hide them. These microexpressions can be influenced by a person's thoughts, feelings, or intentions, and can be a more accurate indicator of their true emotions compared to their conscious facial expressions.

2. How do affected microexpressions differ from regular microexpressions?

Affected microexpressions are different from regular microexpressions in that they are influenced by a person's internal thoughts and emotions, rather than being purely spontaneous and unconscious. Regular microexpressions, on the other hand, are spontaneous and can reveal a person's true emotions without any external influence.

3. What can affect a person's microexpressions?

A person's microexpressions can be affected by a variety of factors, including their internal thoughts and emotions, as well as external factors such as social norms, situational context, and the presence of other people. These factors can influence a person's microexpressions and potentially cause them to display different emotions than what they are truly feeling.

4. How can affected microexpressions be useful in research or investigations?

Affected microexpressions can be useful in research or investigations as they can reveal a person's true emotions, even if they are trying to hide them. This can be valuable in fields such as psychology, criminal investigations, and market research, where understanding a person's true emotions can provide valuable insights and help make more accurate conclusions.

5. Can affected microexpressions be controlled or faked?

Affected microexpressions cannot be completely controlled or faked, as they are influenced by a person's internal thoughts and emotions. However, some people may have more control over their microexpressions and may be able to suppress or alter them to some extent. It is also possible for people to purposely fake microexpressions, but these may not be as accurate or reliable as genuine microexpressions.