Register to reply

Cathode Ray Tube

by Amsingh123
Tags: cathode, tube
Share this thread:
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 03:32 PM
P: 14
I've been looking to do a physics project, and since particle accelerators are too dangerous, I was thinking about building a cathode ray tube (CRT) I've done some research about building CRTs, and haven't been able to find anything that gives a complete list of how to build a CRT. Could anyone tell me how to build one?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Crazymechanic
Dec26-13, 03:36 PM
P: 853
but why would you want to build one , the most widespread application of cathode rays was exactly what you just mentioned a CRT tube for tv.
back in times they had these huge vacuum tubes like Crookes tube which served as scientific research apparatus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_tube

I guess you want this just for fun so to speak , i doubt you can build this at home due to the vacuum thing and glass.

building one isn't that complicated , the hard part is that you need vacuum and a glass enclosure
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 03:38 PM
Couldn't you acquire a vacuum pump?

Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 03:38 PM
Cathode Ray Tube

And I'm just doing it for fun.
Crazymechanic
Dec26-13, 03:55 PM
ok get a vacuum pump , that wouldn't even be the hardest part.people have made vacuum pumps out of some old refrigerator pumps etc.

But I can't imagine how could you make the glass enclosure at home.
and if your doing it for fun then remember that glass is a must.

also did you read about the link I gave you ?

such cathode tubes given sufficient voltage will make x rays , remember x rays are basically electrons at a certain amplitude of frequency ,get that frequency to the electrons in the tube and you have x rays.In more simple terms supply enough power and you get them.
And that wouldn't be fun anymore would it ? :d
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 03:57 PM
I plan on making it a pretty crude CRT, so the glass enclosure shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Astrum
Dec26-13, 03:58 PM
P: 274
Why not just buy one? You need to buy a power supply and a vacuum pump anyway.

You sound like a hazard to yourself, I'm expecting this thread to be closed as well. PF has pretty strict rules when it comes to people (usually people that have no idea what they're doing) playing with potentially dangerous equipment (this includes ones that can produce x-rays, such as a crookes tube) at home.
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 03:59 PM
And I plan on only keeping the voltage at 2-5 kv and x rays are only produced at about 15 kv
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 04:01 PM
And thanks for your concern but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've taken enough physics courses to understand potential risks, and I know how to avoid them. I was only looking for a solid set of instructions and materials to guide me.
Amsingh123
Dec26-13, 04:02 PM
I'm not making them for any practical purpose, just for fun.
Crazymechanic
Dec26-13, 04:15 PM
well ofcourse i can't read your mind but it kinda sounds your not fully sure what you are doing,
maybe just get a crookes tube or somthing similar from some lab for the project time and purposes?
if you are at some school i'm sure they have some equipment.
Vanadium 50
Dec26-13, 04:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,469
Quote Quote by Amsingh123 View Post
Could anyone tell me how to build one?
Quote Quote by Amsingh123 View Post
And thanks for your concern but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've taken enough physics courses to understand potential risks, and I know how to avoid them.
The second statement and the first statement cannot both be simultaneously true.

As you were told in your other thread, we do not discuss dangerous projects here.

Register to reply