This is surveyNewton or Einstein

• Thread starter Leon W Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: Newton.Hooke was a great experimentalist and discoverer but a poor science politician.How does that relate to the topic? Hooke was NOT a pacifist, and Hooke did not "back down" from a fight. Hooke was not a mathematician nor a theoretician, that's why he didn't understand the Principia (or was it because the Principia was intentionally obfuscated?)Newton also had any portraits of Hooke removed from the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge after Hooke died. Netwon had a tendency to get in feuds with quite a few people (Hooke, Leibniz, Flamsteed, for example), but he despised Hooke more than anyone
Leon W Zhang
Who is more important for Physics World, Newton or Einstein? And why? Who do you think is more intelligent based on each one's contributions to science and level of difficulty they discovered?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Newton, since Einstein's physics more or less follows the path that Newton laid down.

What do you like better, your left eye or your right eye?

Well, my left eye is dominant. Oddly, it also has the worse vision of the two. I guess I like my right eye better because it sees more clearly, but my brain disagrees. I don't even know how you can disagree with your own brain, but there I am.

- Warren

Leon W Zhang said:
Who is more important for Physics World, Newton or Einstein? And why? Who do you think is more intelligent based on each one's contributions to science and level of difficulty they discovered?

I don't understand why people keep asking these questions :confused:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
~Isaac Newton

Odd, I like my right eye best, and it's also my weakest eye. Maybe we should start a poll.

I like pie.

Pie are not squared. Pie are round!

- Warren

This is survey,

ha ha ha.

Sorry, could not resist. So wrong of me. Totally inappropriate.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Newton and Einstein got in a bar fight, Newton would totally have won. I mean, it's so easy to pound on a pacifist.

- Warren

I like Robert Hooke for the insight of universal gravity and putting Newton on the right track with it.
Newton and Einstein would have been lost without it and he doesn’t get proper credit for it, even if he was a bit of a jerk.

edit) & while Newton pounds on the pacifist, Hooke could bite Newton on the ankles.

Last edited:
chroot said:
Pie are not squared. Pie are round!

- Warren
Not if it's one of those ones that you get at McDonalds...
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Newton and Einstein got in a bar fight, Newton would totally have won. I mean, it's so easy to pound on a pacifist.
People tend to stop being pacifists when people start hitting them. Besides - didn't Newton become a physicist because he was a sickly kid and couldn't do anything physical?

russ_watters said:
People tend to stop being pacifists when people start hitting them. Besides - didn't Newton become a physicist because he was a sickly kid and couldn't do anything physical?
Aww...c'mon, Newton got beat up by an apple tree, and it wasn't even trying! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Aww...c'mon, Newton got beat up by an apple tree, and it wasn't even trying! :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
This is survey...
I was SOOOO going to do that! You had the guts to though. LOL!

I'm making a choice, but:

waznboyd said:
I think Newton, since Einstein's physics more or less follows the path that Newton laid down.

?

Regards,
George

ranger said:
I don't understand why people keep asking these questions

I agree ... somewhat.

~Isaac Newton

I have become aware recently that this may be a "short" joke, i.e., that this might be a sarcastic reference to Robert Hooke, a short contemporary whom Newton detested.

Anyone know anything about this?

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
~Isaac Newton
I have become aware recently that this may be a "short" joke, i.e., that this might be a sarcastic reference to Robert Hooke, a short contemporary whom Newton detested.

I believe the earliest source found on this quote (maybe only one) was in a letter from Newton to Hooke acknowledging some credit for the progress he had made in math and science. Yes, Hooke was what we might describe as a Little Napoleon, both in size and personality (not that Newton was any walk in the park either).

It wasn’t long after that Hooke started publicly complaining that the early drafts of Principia didn’t give him proper credit. Newton then removed Hooke’s name from later parts of the book before publishing, and worked to avoid giving Hooke any credit at all in any area.

In addition, Newton avoided publishing Optics, until the year after Hooke died; an area of science Hooke was considered as an expert.
Newton did not like criticism and he did not like Hooke.

RandallB said:
I believe the earliest source found on this quote (maybe only one) was in a letter from Newton to Hooke acknowledging some credit for the progress he had made in math and science. Yes, Hooke was what we might describe as a Little Napoleon, both in size and personality (not that Newton was any walk in the park either).

It wasn’t long after that Hooke started publicly complaining that the early drafts of Principia didn’t give him proper credit. Newton then removed Hooke’s name from later parts of the book before publishing, and worked to avoid giving Hooke any credit at all in any area.

In addition, Newton avoided publishing Optics, until the year after Hooke died; an area of science Hooke was considered as an expert.
Newton did not like criticism and he did not like Hooke.
Newton also had any portraits of Hooke removed from the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge after Hooke died. Netwon had a tendency to get in feuds with quite a few people (Hooke, Leibniz, Flamsteed, for example), but he despised Hooke more than anyone else - mainly because Hooke was a very obnoxious person, himself. A lot of people felt Hooke compensated for his dwarfish appearance by making everyone around him feel even smaller than Hooke.

Hence the idea that maybe Newton wasn't exactly complimenting Hooke with that comment.

BobG said:
Newton also had any portraits of Hooke removed from the Royal Society ...
I hadn't heard that - maybe he even had them destroyed. I know finding a good image of Hooke was historically difficult, the one good portrait of Hooke used in most books was original stored as and thought to be someone else. Maybe putting it under another name back then saved it from a destructive purge.

Can you imagine that happening now! – I wonder - who’s photos would Hawking be tossing out?

One of my favorites is actually... W.L. Bragg :tongue2: who got Nobel prize at the age of 25. Among others are ofcourse Albert, Newton, Feynman, Heisenberg, etc. But I don't have rankings or something like that.

Oh yeah... and there is this one guy, John Bardeen, who had actually been awarded with 2 nobel prizes in physics (respect!). :smile:

Igor_S said:
Oh yeah... and there is this one guy, John Bardeen, who had actually been awarded with 2 nobel prizes in physics (respect!). :smile:

was that the dude who helped invent the transistor?

Jonny_trigonometry said:
was that the dude who helped invent the transistor?

The Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded in 1956 to John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain, and William Shockley for "investigations on semiconductors and the discovery of the transistor effect," carried on at the Bell Telephone Laboratories.

http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1972/bardeen-bio.html
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1956/

George Jones said:
I agree ... somewhat.

Regards,
George
That is the claim made by John Gribbin in his book In Search of Schrodinger's Cat

Integral said:
That is the claim made by John Gribbin in his book In Search of Schrodinger's Cat

The nice thing about having a bad memory is ... rediscovery.

Years ago, I read this book, but I had forgotten that part.

I think I still have the book, but if I do, my spatial location is about 2000 km from the box in which it is packed. :frown:

Regards,
George

I heard that whenever Einstein found a portrait of Newton in a book he would scrawl "LOSER!" on it and giggle.

zoobyshoe said:
I heard that whenever Einstein found a portrait of Newton in a book he would scrawl "LOSER!" on it and giggle.
Not likely, according to Robyn Arianrhod in “Einstein’s Hero’s” his was one of three photos he actually put on his study wall. Although Maxwell got the top spot for unifying two forces.

I’d guess someone was just cracking wise with you. – But I wouldn’t want to guess what he might have been doing to photos of Born and Heisenberg

ranger said:
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1972/bardeen-bio.html
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1956/

cool! that's my old physics teacher's teacher!

zoobyshoe said:

:rofl: :rofl: that is hilarious!:rofl: :rofl:

Jonny_trigonometry said:
:rofl: :rofl: that is hilarious!:rofl: :rofl:
(Shhhhh. Randallb thinks I am a gullible person taken in by a wise-cracker.)

zoobyshoe said:
(Shhhhh. Randallb thinks I am a gullible person taken in by a wise-cracker.)
Ok OK - so you're not gullible, it was your creative imagination cracking wise with yourself - & us.
So - keeping it quit just with us here, in your creative imagination
(what is Hawking marking on who's photos?)

Last edited:
Einstein is better than Newton since he even proved him wrong.

Mattara said:
Einstein is better than Newton since he even proved him wrong.
Where exactly did Einstein “prove” Newton wrong?
Don’t include the modern idea that Newtonian gravity requires “instant” transmission.
Newton never claimed that – He was very specific in mathematically defining the force relationship of gravity between two masses and clearly stated that he was not proposing anything as to how the forces were connected between the two masses.

RandallB said:
Where exactly did Einstein “prove” Newton wrong?
Don’t include the modern idea that Newtonian gravity requires “instant” transmission.
Newton never claimed that – He was very specific in mathematically defining the force relationship of gravity between two masses and clearly stated that he was not proposing anything as to how the forces were connected between the two masses.

That is exactly what I mean. Newton did claim that.

Mattara said:
Newton did claim that.
Where? Do you have a quote or referance?