Why is the Tortoise Coordinate Called That?

• Thread starter yenchin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinate
In summary, the tortoise coordinate is named tortoise coordinate because it is a coordinate that approaches -infinity as r approaches the Schwarzschild radius.
yenchin
Hi. I have been reading the forums for quite sometime now, but this is the first time I decided to join in the fun. :biggrin: I am wondering why the tortoise coordinate is called tortoise coordinate (why not turtle or hippo... :tongue:) . I have tried searching for the answer online but couldn't find any, and my lecturers are not sure too. Any idea? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
yenchin said:
Hi. I have been reading the forums for quite sometime now, but this is the first time I decided to join in the fun. :biggrin: I am wondering why the tortoise coordinate is called tortoise coordinate (why not turtle or hippo... :tongue:) . I have tried searching for the answer online but couldn't find any, and my lecturers are not sure too. Any idea? :smile:
Hi yenchin!

The ''tortoise coordinate'' [itex]r^\star [/itex] is defined by:

[tex]r^\star = r + 2GM\ln\left|\frac{r}{2GM} - 1\right| [/tex].

The tortoise coordinate [itex]r^\star[/itex] approaches [itex] - \infty [/itex] as ''r'' approaches the Schwarzschild radius ''r'' = 2''GM''. It satisfies

[tex] \frac{dr^\star}{dr} = \left(1-\frac{2GM}{r}\right)^{-1} [/tex].

Watch the object fall towards the Schwarzschild radius at a constant

[tex]\frac{dr^\star}{dt}[/tex]

it 'slows right up', hence [itex]r^\star[/itex] is called the 'tortoise coordinate'.

Garth

Last edited:
Oh...:smile: Thanks.

This thread has just reminded me of something! Apparently in Arnol'd's book on GR, he refers to the Lie derivative as "the Angler's derivative". Does anybody have any idea why that might be?!

Cexy said:
This thread has just reminded me of something! Apparently in Arnol'd's book on GR, he refers to the Lie derivative as "the Angler's derivative". Does anybody have any idea why that might be?!

Because the Lie derivative is defined using a flow (of a vector field), like the flow of a stream in which the angler angles!

Regards,
George

I don't think that
"it 'slows right up', hence r⋆ is called the 'tortoise coordinate'."
That coordinate was named tortoise coordinate due to the story of Achilles and the Tortoise, we know that the Tortoise think that Achilles wouldn't catch up itself forever, this case just like the observer of outside of black hole who never saw anything fall into the black hole, but in fact for a free falling observer who fall into the black hole in a finite time. What saw outer of black hole observer is just because he used the "Tortoise coordinate", that it means!

yangbin said:
I don't think that
"it 'slows right up', hence r⋆ is called the 'tortoise coordinate'."
That coordinate was named tortoise coordinate due to the story of Achilles and the Tortoise, we know that the Tortoise think that Achilles wouldn't catch up itself forever, this case just like the observer of outside of black hole who never saw anything fall into the black hole, but in fact for a free falling observer who fall into the black hole in a finite time. What saw outer of black hole observer is just because he used the "Tortoise coordinate", that it means!

Wow. Thanks for resurrecting my 5-year-old thread ;-)

1. Why is the Tortoise Coordinate System called that?

The Tortoise Coordinate System is named after the famous ancient Greek philosopher, Zeno of Elea, and his paradox of the Tortoise and Achilles. In this paradox, Zeno proposed that Achilles, the fastest runner, could never overtake a tortoise in a race because he would always have to catch up to where the tortoise had been, and so on. This paradox led to the development of the concept of infinitesimal, which is the foundation of the coordinate system.

2. What is the purpose of the Tortoise Coordinate System?

The Tortoise Coordinate System is a mathematical tool used in calculus and geometry to visually represent complex mathematical concepts, such as infinitesimals and limits. It allows for the visualization of these concepts, making them easier to understand and apply.

3. How does the Tortoise Coordinate System work?

The Tortoise Coordinate System is based on the idea of dividing a line into smaller and smaller segments, approaching infinity. This is represented by the tortoise symbol, which moves along the x-axis at a constant rate, while the y-axis represents the limit that the tortoise approaches. The coordinate system is used to graph functions and visualize the behavior of these functions as they approach a limit.

4. What is the difference between the Tortoise and the Hare Coordinate System?

The Hare Coordinate System is a similar concept to the Tortoise Coordinate System, but instead of a tortoise symbol moving along the x-axis at a constant rate, a hare symbol moves at an increasing rate. This allows for the visualization of functions that grow at an increasing rate, rather than approaching a limit.

5. Can the Tortoise Coordinate System be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Tortoise Coordinate System can be used for any type of function, as long as it is continuous. It is particularly useful for functions that involve infinitesimals and limits, as it allows for a visual representation of these concepts. It can also be applied to real-world situations, such as modeling population growth or the spread of disease.