A partial solution to the Goldbach Conjecture

In summary, The conversation is about finding the proof or a paraphrase of Ivan Vinogradov's statement that every sufficiently large odd integer can be expressed as the sum of three odd primes. Matt Grime suggests checking Tim Gowers' website for notes on the topic, but they are only available in DVI format. Matt recommends installing Miktex to view the files, but offers to convert the notes into PS format and send them via email. The conversation ends with confirmation of the email address and a request for the converted file.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
im not trying to be a crank and give you a solution to it but I am looking for the proof of Ivan Vinogradov "that every sufficiently large odd integer can be expressed as the sum of three odd primes"( quoted from here:http://primes.utm.edu/glossary/page.php?sort=Vinogradov), the original proof or a paraphrase of it will be much appreciated (for free download)?

what i did find is this http://www.ams.org/era/1997-03-15/S1079-6762-97-00031-0/home.html but it's nor for free downloading
:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
tim gowers has the notes from a lecture course he gave on it in part III on his web page. www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~wtg10 link near the bottom

Originally posted by matt grime
tim gowers has the notes from a lecture course he gave on it in part III on his web page. www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~wtg10 link near the bottom

the notes are in dvi, do you know where i can find the notes in ps or pdf format?

if you want to read papers then you'll need to get a dvi viewer cos dvi is one of the most common formats papers a distributed in (we tend to be old fashioned in views about these things). it will be worth it in the long run to install miktex on your windows box. it comes with a dvi viewer. there are others out there too, but i never tried one successfully without a miktex installation. of course it takes either broadband or patience to download miktex. in this case i'll download them for you dvips it and send you the file

ok I've got a ps version pm me your email address and i'll send it to you. it's too big to put on as an attachment here - 112K and the limit is 51.

matt

i sent you a pm, did you get it?

btw, thanks for converting it.

ok, I've sent it on to you at that address,

matt, what i received was the dvi format of the file. i thought you said you converted it into a ps format.

1. What is the Goldbach Conjecture and why is it important?

The Goldbach Conjecture is a famous unsolved problem in number theory which states that every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. It is important because it has been studied for over 270 years and many mathematicians believe that it holds the key to understanding the distribution of prime numbers.

2. What is a partial solution to the Goldbach Conjecture?

A partial solution to the Goldbach Conjecture is a mathematical proof or theory that provides evidence for the truth of the conjecture, but does not completely solve it. For example, a partial solution may show that the conjecture holds true for certain subsets of even numbers, but not for all even numbers.

3. Has anyone come up with a partial solution to the Goldbach Conjecture?

Yes, there have been several partial solutions proposed by mathematicians throughout history. Some of the most notable include the proof by Russian mathematician Ivan Vinogradov in 1937 which showed that every odd number could be expressed as the sum of three prime numbers, and the work by Chen Jingrun in 1973 which proved that every even number can be expressed as the sum of a prime and a semiprime (a number with exactly two prime factors).

4. Why has the Goldbach Conjecture been so difficult to prove?

The Goldbach Conjecture has been difficult to prove because it involves the behavior and patterns of prime numbers, which are highly unpredictable and have no known formula for generating them. Additionally, the conjecture applies to all even numbers, making it a very broad and complex problem to tackle.

5. Is there a prize for solving the Goldbach Conjecture?

There is currently no official prize for solving the Goldbach Conjecture. However, it is considered one of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics and has garnered much attention and recognition for anyone who can provide a complete solution.