Rotation and Linear Motion BonuS Help

In summary, the system consists of two disks with different masses and distances from the axis of rotation, and is brought to rest by friction. The equations needed to calculate the frictional torque acting on the system and the time at which it will come to rest are the rotational inertia equation (I = mr^2), the torque equation (T = I * alpha), and the angular velocity equation (Wf = Wi + (alpha)t). The final expressions for a) the frictional torque and b) the time T can be obtained by plugging in the given values for u, m, L, g, and Wi.
choi626
1. Homework Statement

A system consists off two small disks of masses m and 2m that are on a plane. The length that connects the two mass is of negligible mass is is 3L long. The rod is free to rotate on a vertical axis P and the mass 2m lies L away from P and the mass m lies 2L away from P. The two disks rest on a horizontal surface and the coefficient of friction is U. At time t = 0, the rod has an initial counterclockwise angular velocity of Wi about P. The system is gradually brought to rest by friction. develop expressions for the following in terms of u, m, L, g, and Wi.
a) the frictional torque acting on the system about axis P
b) the time T at which the system will come to rest.

2. Homework Equations

T=I(alpha)
Wf= Wi + (alpha)t
0 = Wi + (alpha)t

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Wi - friction = I (alpha)

what do i use for Inertia?

Physics news on Phys.org

you would use the equation for rotational inertia, which is given by I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, you have two disks with different masses and distances from the axis P, so you would need to calculate the individual inertias for each disk and then add them together to get the total inertia for the system.

Once you have the inertia, you can use the equation for torque, which is given by T = I * alpha, to calculate the frictional torque acting on the system. This torque is what is causing the system to slow down and eventually come to rest.

To find the time at which the system will come to rest, you can use the equation Wf = Wi + (alpha)t, where Wf is the final angular velocity (which is zero when the system comes to rest), Wi is the initial angular velocity, and alpha is the angular acceleration. You can rearrange this equation to solve for t, giving you the expression for the time T at which the system will come to rest.

Overall, your solution should include the calculation of the individual inertias for each disk, the addition of these inertias to find the total inertia for the system, the use of the torque equation to find the frictional torque, and the use of the angular velocity equation to find the time at which the system comes to rest. You can then plug in the given values for u, m, L, g, and Wi to get your final expressions for a) the frictional torque and b) the time T.

1. What is the difference between rotation and linear motion?

Rotation is the circular movement around an axis, while linear motion is the straight movement along a path. In rotation, the distance from the axis remains constant, while in linear motion, the distance from the starting point changes.

2. How are rotational and linear speed related?

Rotational speed refers to the number of rotations per unit time, while linear speed refers to the distance traveled per unit time. The two are related through the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed (rotational speed), and r is the distance from the axis.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. What is the relationship between rotational inertia and linear inertia?

Rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while linear inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. The two are related through the parallel axis theorem, which states that the rotational inertia of an object is equal to the sum of its linear inertia and the square of the distance between the object's axis of rotation and its center of mass.

5. How are torque and linear force related?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, while linear force is a measure of the straight force applied to an object. The two are related through the formula τ = Fr, where τ is the torque, F is the linear force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.