Finding Deflection of Electron Beam in Cathode Ray Tube

In summary: So, based on that, we can say that the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube is directly proportional to the accelerating voltage. This means that as the accelerating voltage increases, the deflection of the electron beam also increases. In summary, the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube is directly proportional to the accelerating voltage.
husky88

Homework Statement

I have to find out a relationship between the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube and the accelerating voltage.

Homework Equations

I know that theoretically D is inversely proportional to the accelerating voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to do this experimentally and they are giving me data tables. To find out the deflection (D) they give me:
Accelerating Voltage: 400 V
First Position: 5.00 cm
Second Position: 9.00 cm
To find out the deflection (D), they tell me to subtract the two positions and divide by 2. I don't understand what first position and second position refer to. Why do I need to divide by 2? I actually don't know how a cathode ray tube works and why would it provide 2 different positions for the same accelerating voltage.

I don't know if I provided enough details, but any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a backround info page on CRTs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

You may want to search the "Lorentz Force" at wikipedia as well.

What can you say about how the Lorentz Force varies with the velocity of the charged particle? How does the velocity of the charged particle vary with the applied voltage between the cathode and anode?

Thank you. That really helped shed some light on cathode ray tubes. :)
The Lorentz force increases when velocity increases. And I think the velocity is inversely proportional with the voltage. (?)

But I still don't know what to make of this data that I have.
Deflection = (Second Position - First Position)/2
at a certain voltage. More specifically what are the conditions for the first position and for the second position and why are they different if the voltage is the same.

husky88 said:
Thank you. That really helped shed some light on cathode ray tubes. :)
The Lorentz force increases when velocity increases. And I think the velocity is inversely proportional with the voltage. (?)

No. The energy of the electron accelerated across some voltage (on the anode-cathode capacitor, basically) is expressed in electron-volts (eV). The higher the voltage the ______ the acceleration and the associated velocity.

Thank you, again.
The higher the voltage the higher the acceleration and the associated velocity.
Hmmm...

1. How is the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube measured?

The deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube is typically measured using a device called an oscilloscope. This device uses electric fields to deflect the electrons in the beam and produces a visual representation of the beam's deflection on a screen.

2. What factors affect the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube?

The deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the size and shape of the deflecting plates, and the velocity of the electrons in the beam.

3. How does the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube relate to the voltage applied?

The deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube is directly proportional to the voltage applied. This means that increasing the voltage will result in a larger deflection of the electron beam.

4. What role does the magnetic field play in the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube?

The magnetic field plays a crucial role in the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube. By applying a magnetic field perpendicular to the electric field, the beam can be deflected in a circular motion, allowing for more precise control of the beam's path.

5. How is the deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube used in scientific research?

The deflection of an electron beam in a cathode ray tube is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as particle physics and materials science. By studying the deflection of the beam, scientists can gather information about the properties and behavior of electrons, as well as the materials they are passing through.